Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Quote: But it's not like I can fold it together and throw it up in the attic once it's finished... And I'm guessing some of our girls will go broody at some point too. We really would like to do the hatching with a broody, since we don't want to keep the chicks inside the house again. We learned that the first time. The dust goes into places you wouldn't even imagine. One plan is to just hatch some of our own eggs if we can't find anything suitable. Topi should carry the same olive genes as Töyhtis has, it would be interesting to see what a combo of them would make, but that's a bit too close relation for my tastes. Wilma the BCM would be interesting too, but she's his half sister too. So that just leaves the Alhos and the Sussex, once she starts to lay. I think we could get a nice light green egg from the Alhos, coupled with quite interesting colors in the feathering, unless the black from Topi covers everything.

Haha, looks like an ostrich. Cute. (But still they are feather dusters. Bad Felix. You are not getting a Silkie. No.)

Oh it will happen...I said the same thing 6 months ago!
Silkies don't take up much room.
They won't need much roost space, just a nest box lol

But it's not like I can fold it together and throw it up in the attic once it's finished... And I'm guessing some of our girls will go broody at some point too. We really would like to do the hatching with a broody, since we don't want to keep the chicks inside the house again. We learned that the first time. The dust goes into places you wouldn't even imagine. One plan is to just hatch some of our own eggs if we can't find anything suitable. Topi should carry the same olive genes as Töyhtis has, it would be interesting to see what a combo of them would make, but that's a bit too close relation for my tastes. Wilma the BCM would be interesting too, but she's his half sister too. So that just leaves the Alhos and the Sussex, once she starts to lay. I think we could get a nice light green egg from the Alhos, coupled with quite interesting colors in the feathering, unless the black from Topi covers everything.
Mixing colours, I thought I had a grasp of it, but I clearly don't. We were expecting some nice colours from a lavender roo over a brown hen, we got a jet black pullet lol.

Very interesting, but like spelling there are little rules to each combination that can change the outcome.

In our flock news, today an egg was found in the sand of the run, unusual for our flock, the family keep trying to tell me they think it was Amy (SPW) but I would have to see her for myself before I believe it!

Well Ben, that would be awfully sweet if your SPW finally got off her @$$ and started laying for you, wouldn't it? Good luck, and I hope it's so!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vehve

Fancy, you are an enabler. But we decided that if and when we add to our flock, we'd be interested in an Isbar and a true Araucana. Some nice blue and green eggs.
Felix, you KNOW deep in your heart that you REALLY want a silkie! Why not just keep that adorable little bundle of feathers in the house as a house chicken? Maybe the little feather duster will attract some dust rather than creating it
hide.gif

Well Ben, that would be awfully sweet if your SPW finally got off her @$$ and started laying for you, wouldn't it? Good luck, and I hope it's so!

Quote:
Quote:

Fancy, you are an enabler. But we decided that if and when we add to our flock, we'd be interested in an Isbar and a true Araucana. Some nice blue and green eggs.
Felix, you KNOW deep in your heart that you REALLY want a silkie! Why not just keep that adorable little bundle of feathers in the house as a house chicken? Maybe the little feather duster will attract some dust rather than creating it
hide.gif

Good Post, Felix, you need to keep in mind that around here a couple of silkies do NOT count as real chickens, untill a broody is needed!
Scott

Quote:
Quote:

hide.gif

Good Post, Felix, you need to keep in mind that around here a couple of silkies do NOT count as real chickens, untill a broody is needed!
Scott
It might attract a dachshund though. She might think of it more as a chew toy.

It's weird how backwards Australia is. Summer is winter and going south means you need gloves and a hat.

It is funny. I find it odd how people have snow at Christmas while we go to the beach cause it is so hot.... Being I hate all forms of cold weather I am happy to live where I do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom