Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

:weee....Amy.

I'm on the war with lice ATM . Had a roo with a red bottom and after a night time sortie , discovered this.

NOT HAPPY JAN !

Last edited:
Congrats to Amy!!
Now the question is how much time will it take for her to start a normal laying cycle? I have a hen that is well over a year old and has not laid more then 15 eggs. I trap nest our pullets to check for egg color, and she has been a permanent resident of one of the bigger kennels until now. She will be stew soon, will not even act like a broody.
barnie.gif

Good Luck Ben!!

Scott
Oh no! Well I hope our Amy Wyandotte gets her act together and continues like a normal chicken. At least we both know it's possible for them to lay.

wee.gif
....Amy.

I'm on the war with lice ATM . Had a roo with a red bottom and after a night time sortie , discovered this.

NOT HAPPY JAN !
Double oh no!

Ben, I told you she'd start laying, let's hope that she'll continue with it now that she's finally realized what she's supposed to do.

Fancy, are those the egg sacks? Luckily we haven't had to deal with parasites yet...

@Fancychooklady

That's a nasty case of lice.

We use ivermectin pour on for parasite control every six months and valbazen in between so the birds get wormed every 3 months and lice treatment every six.

So far we have not had an outbreak since starting this regimen

Hi again, I got some really quicks pics of the flock. They were taken on my iPhone so unfortunately they won't live up to Fancy's amazing photographs.

*Edit to add
OOPS I put these on the wrong thread. I was going to put them on the Australian thread but oh well there here now. Hope you don't mind Ben.

Also the pics are really blurry just looking at them as a post on the thread but when you click on them they enlarge and become clearer for some reason...

Last edited:
They are looking great CB! One day I will have a blue pullet!

Amy seems to be doing well, two from her in two days but I am getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday we had a record number of eggs NINE!

Today, I found a thin shelled egg broken in the run. Through the day we collect TEN more eggs! 10 keepers for today and one of the Ara's didn't lay. The girls must be loving the recent sunshine as they are certainly keeping busy!

Gave two dozen eggs away today and the fridge rack is still full!

I have a pic but it's not loading right now.

Hi again, I got some really quicks pics of the flock. They were taken on my iPhone so unfortunately they won't live up to Fancy's amazing photographs.

*Edit to add
OOPS I put these on the wrong thread. I was going to put them on the Australian thread but oh well there here now. Hope you don't mind Ben.

Also the pics are really blurry just looking at them as a post on the thread but when you click on them they enlarge and become clearer for some reason...Are
Are you saying that this isn't the Australian thread, it seams to cover most of OZ from what I can see.
E T A Some of your blues have real nice lacing
Scott (who needs to find a real Aussie thread now)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom