Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Thanks guys!

We have had some average weather last night and today, I don't think we will see another dozen for a while. 12/14 at the tail end of winter though...got to be happy with that!

Good news though, Amy the 'reluctant' Wyandotte seems to be quite forthcoming with her produce, she is in the nest right now and I am pretty sure I have egg eggs picked from the bunch and she is as regular as expected for new layer.

I was out exploring some new tracks the other day and took my phone along as a back up map/emergency. Added bonus was to be able to get a few pictures of Perth's hill's region. Simple mobile phone shots of a glorious Perth winters day.

Not sure if you can spot who I startled along the the. By the time I got my phone out he had moved away a fair distance, but was only a few meters away when I first saw him.

The same day I also got a couple of running decent video's, pretty poor quality but I could share them if anyone is interested. I filmed them for a runner mate who lives in a bit of a remote area and often has no one to train with, so I name Strava segments after him, then run them and send him the video's hahahaha

Finally.....Scott, this one is for you, sorry it's late!
0.jpg

I thought I had caught more of the 'honking' sound, but clearly I didn't. :(

I have a couple who make sounds just like those and they're only at 12 weeks... a little soon for eggs I'm thinking. I thought they were just complainers/whiners. Oh, and I now have at least one rooster in each coop crowing. One sounds like he's in pain, and the other sounds like a real rooster
woot.gif
I actually like the sound of it, and they are far enough removed that there's no chance of it waking me in the mornings
highfive.gif

As a side note, my uncle and aunt used to run a Salvation Army camp (somewhere) up in those hills you shared pics of. I was there for about a week back in the early 80s and visited with them there. It was a very nice time and I enjoyed Perth immensely. Anyway... doubt I'll get back there, but it was a very enjoyable visit. Good to here about your late starter
clap.gif
Glad she's laying regularly (more or less as a beginner).

Ben, those are some freaky sounding chickens. They sound more like goats to me.

Karin: "What on earth are you listening to?" Me: "Bens chickens' eggsong" Karin: "Sounds more like he's killing them"

Small world Latestarter.....I would have been in the same small city at the time hahaha

Felix, it sounds like that most days now since Luna is back to laying. Some days she 'sings' for up to an hour, others she just gets it over with quickly. On hot days, she can make that noise for quite some time.

Small world Latestarter.....I would have been in the same small city at the time hahaha

Felix, it sounds like that most days now since Luna is back to laying. Some days she 'sings' for up to an hour, others she just gets it over with quickly. On hot days, she can make that noise for quite some time.

Maybe you should rename her ' mona '. Thought you guys would like this. Warning not chicken related!

Ben, I'm sure if the neighbors can stand that, a itty bitty rooster won't be noticed at all...

Fancy, I didn't remember those anymore. I'd like one that poops on the cars of people who signal left in a roundabout, pull over without signaling, or people who stop to let others into the roundabout. Small things that drive me crazy.

Maybe you should rename her ' mona '. Thought you guys would like this. Warning not chicken related!

HA! Yeah, maybe we should, was awful quiet round here when she was molting hahahaha

If only chickens had opposable thumbs, I am sure I could train a few 'trunk chickens' up. I think a pair of Rock sisters would make great candidates!
Ben, I'm sure if the neighbors can stand that, a itty bitty rooster won't be noticed at all...

Fancy, I didn't remember those anymore. I'd like one that poops on the cars of people who signal left in a roundabout, pull over without signaling, or people who stop to let others into the roundabout. Small things that drive me crazy.
If only itty bitty roosters made itty bitty crows, all the small ones seem to still enjoy belting out a big tune!

Anyone spot the kangaroo in my bush pic?

I did, and to my un-kangaroo-accustomed eyes it looked like an escaping deer or something.

We processed Topi on Friday, it's really quiet without the crowing now. Hopefully Eemeli will start soon, he's already about 20 weeks, but still no crowing and not showing any interest in the girls. He seems like a bit of an eunuch.

I have several small world encounters.

In 1986 I flew to Denpasar Bali from Sydney. 5 months later I had to return to Bali for a funeral. I sat in my seat and the guy who sat next to me on the earlier flight was in the seat next to me again.

I came accross a high school friend from Tamworth on the street in Santa Monica 10 years later and met a nurse I worked with in Texas in Londonin a chippy

And a near miss story - I has booked on a plane to go back to Oz from USA February 24, 1989. I brought my flight up by a week. It wasthe United Airlines 811 flight that tore open the aircraft cargo door

Back
Top Bottom