Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Ben, best of luck to you! It looks like we might be throwing some under a broody too, Karin seems to strongly think so at least. I'm not as enthusiastic. But it's been over three weeks and we still haven't managed to break her.

Some good news this post.

With a special thanks to another member, tonight I was hand delivered a dozen of Tasmania's finest Coronation Sussex.

I could not wait until tomorrow so I marked them (as the other hens try to share nests sometimes) and slipped them under two of our broody's. Rosie the RIR is a proven mum, she got 6 and our Amy Wyandotte (SP) has shown great promise so she got 6 too. Our Salmon Fav 'Sal' got the spare dummy eggs. She looks like a solid broody this time, but last time I gave her eggs she let the Rock Sisters interfere and I had to rescue the clutch and incubate them myself.

Fingers crossed this time nature can work it's magic and we have a great broody hatch.

Good luck Ben, we will get some coro in your flock one way or another. :)

woot.gif

It was great to meet them too. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting really.

Turns out we have had few paths come close over the years. I hope the audition goes well and if they need anything over the weekend to drop me a line.

Thanks again, we have a good feeling about this one :)

Thanks, so far, the 3 mums to be have done a great job with the eggs.

They have worked out some sort of rotation system, when one needs to eat the one on an empty nest goes and keeps the eggs warm.

Confident so far all is going to plan.

I spent that day starting an auto door opener for the rooster box, I had it almost complete and then when soldering a switch I melted the housing. Hope to get a new switch Monday and get it finished off.

Thanks, so far, the 3 mums to be have done a great job with the eggs.

They have worked out some sort of rotation system, when one needs to eat the one on an empty nest goes and keeps the eggs warm.

Confident so far all is going to plan.

I spent that day starting an auto door opener for the rooster box, I had it almost complete and then when soldering a switch I melted the housing. Hope to get a new switch Monday and get it finished off.
Here State Side, I've found that solder lug, crimp on lug and, screw on lug switches cost about the same. It is just a matter of what I have on hand that can handle the load.
Good luck!!
To add, I hate parts that are solder but can NOT handle much heat!
Scott

Last edited:
Yeah, I must need a bigger iron I think as it takes too long to get the lug to temp and the heat works it's way up.

Oh well, only about $1.68 for another one, just have to wait until business hours to get one.

Back
Top Bottom