Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

A beak to beak moment this morning lol

Hahahaha, he asked me about how they hatch, so I went through the process and he had this look of bewilderment on his face, first thing he said was "How do you know this stuff" Which I replied, 'internet' then that question was very quickly followed with "How do THEY know this stuff?" then we both laughed.

Alicia and I still are in wonder about nature and how these animals know to do things by instinct without ever being shown.

Amazing, I think he likes seeing it and being involved.

Yeah, something that lays blue eggs, but we'll wait for spring to do that, I don't think it's a good idea to hatch eggs this time of the year. We do have some crows, they have been flying around in a very worried manner today, and the hawk was patrolling earlier in the day. There's also a humongous raven that lives in the forest here. Our roo has been very observant today too, sadly yesterday the girls had wandered off to the other side of the house, outside the fenced in yard and the roo doesn't go outside the fence. Otherwise he might have intervened. Although that might have been worse, I'm glad Viiru died quickly. It was the neighbors kids that spotted her first, so a half dead bird would have been a much worse sight than the unrecognizable pile of feathers they saw now. We will still continue to free range though, but we'll keep it short and very supervised for a while.
At that part went as well as it could have went.
Good luck with it, Felix!

Scott

Hahahaha, he asked me about how they hatch, so I went through the process and he had this look of bewilderment on his face, first thing he said was "How do you know this stuff" Which I replied, 'internet' then that question was very quickly followed with "How do THEY know this stuff?" then we both laughed.

Alicia and I still are in wonder about nature and how these animals know to do things by instinct without ever being shown.

Amazing, I think he likes seeing it and being involved.

Great thread, just finished it, took a few days! What age did you araucanas lay? We have got an 18 week old and are curious, was yours flighty?

HI XxMingirlxX

Our earliest Ara 'Jewel' laid at 18 or 19 weeks old. We had two more and they were both laying by 22 weeks. Our earliest breed of layers in our flock as most others took a bit longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom