Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

:hugs
Sorry to her Joanne. I hope the last of the little ones were ok when you got home.

We have more news, none of it it good, well, on kind of is I guess.

Firstly, Ginger the Cochin, has laid about 5 eggs now and she seems pretty intent on staying on the nest today, she was on there at about 5am too when I checked on the girls. I think her instincts have kicked in already. We were enjoying her 'salad sized' eggs along with Tas the Wyllie's. Might come in handy later, but a bit irritating so soon.

Moving on to the more drawn out story, and certainly not good.

I will start with a question. Could two bigger b*&ch birds kill a smaller lowest on the order bird while on the roost?

Tuesday night, the family and I have running training. I run a free community session at a local park. We had a great night with almost 40 people show up. On these nights, we don't normally let the girls out when we leave, especially with the local cats recent appearance.

We don't get home until just before 8pm. My brother got home just before 7pm, noticed the girls were not out walking the yard so he opened the gate and free they all sprang. Sunset was just after 7pm. He went outside for a smoke somewhere around 7:30ish and saw all the girls perched on the hand rail. He had forgotten to open the coop door, so he went down and opened the door, but no one rushed inside. We were due bad weather, so he one by one carefully placed them onto the roosts, closed up and 10 minutes later we were home.

We threw the kids in the shower and rushed about to get some rice on to go with the dinner we had already made in the slow cooker, while eating I asked him about the girls and he told me what happened. I said something like "I will go down after dinner and check on them" and he made a comment that seemed like I did not trust him, or I doubted him. So I asked "are you sure it all closed up, no worries" "Nah mate, its all good" Which, honestly, I was happy about. I had just got home from a hard training session, then had a big dinner. I felt lazy.

I didn't go down, I would have noticed the wrong order on the roost.

Roll on 4:40am, the sun was just coming up and I could hear a heap of noise in the coop from bed. Not usual for us, so I went down to make sure that dam cat had not found a way in.

Marrie the French Wheaten Maran was stiff as a board under the roost. Perched above on either side were the Rock sisters, in their usual roosting place. Marrie normally roosts far away from them.

She has blood spots about her face, and very advance rigour, but from what I could see without opening her up was in relative good condition. Only marks were around her face.

She had laid a perfectly fine egg on Tuesday so I doubt it's that. Only thing I can think of that goes with the marks is that she was bullied to death in the dark.

A sad loss for us, she was so timid, and a family favourite as she was the type of girl who would run up for a pat, eat from the hand and laid lovely large dark brown eggs for us most days. Never had an issue with her. Alicia favourite.

To add salt to the wound, it was my youngest sons birthday that morning, I had to make sure everything was cleaned up and sorted before he saw it, then find the right time to explain to the family. We didn't say much to my brother, not sure if it was his 'fault', he was not to know. Even still, I don't want to place blame, I just want to understand whats happening so we can stop it from happening again.

I am starting to wonder again about this chicken keeping thing, certainly takes it's toll.
\

I tend to agree with Fancy. I would more be thinking rats. I have over 30 hens and a few roos in my main layer pen and have never lost one to another chicken. At night they seem to tolerate each other much better than they do during the day.

Quote: Sounds about right. Me on the other hand, am very much an extrovert. The better half goes crazy with me, I can have a 15 minute conversation with anyone, anywhere, even though I've never met the person before. Karin claims that it's not normal that the guy who works at the meat counter at the store comes over to your home to look at your dogs and chickens.

Sounds about right. Me on the other hand, am very much an extrovert. The better half goes crazy with me, I can have a 15 minute conversation with anyone, anywhere, even though I've never met the person before. Karin claims that it's not normal that the guy who works at the meat counter at the store comes over to your home to look at your dogs and chickens.
lau.gif
Normal is a relative thing. : D

Sorry to her Joanne. I hope the last of the little ones were ok when you got home.

We have more news, none of it it good, well, on kind of is I guess.

Firstly, Ginger the Cochin, has laid about 5 eggs now and she seems pretty intent on staying on the nest today, she was on there at about 5am too when I checked on the girls. I think her instincts have kicked in already. We were enjoying her 'salad sized' eggs along with Tas the Wyllie's. Might come in handy later, but a bit irritating so soon.

Moving on to the more drawn out story, and certainly not good.

I will start with a question. Could two bigger b*&ch birds kill a smaller lowest on the order bird while on the roost?

Tuesday night, the family and I have running training. I run a free community session at a local park. We had a great night with almost 40 people show up. On these nights, we don't normally let the girls out when we leave, especially with the local cats recent appearance.

We don't get home until just before 8pm. My brother got home just before 7pm, noticed the girls were not out walking the yard so he opened the gate and free they all sprang. Sunset was just after 7pm. He went outside for a smoke somewhere around 7:30ish and saw all the girls perched on the hand rail. He had forgotten to open the coop door, so he went down and opened the door, but no one rushed inside. We were due bad weather, so he one by one carefully placed them onto the roosts, closed up and 10 minutes later we were home.

We threw the kids in the shower and rushed about to get some rice on to go with the dinner we had already made in the slow cooker, while eating I asked him about the girls and he told me what happened. I said something like "I will go down after dinner and check on them" and he made a comment that seemed like I did not trust him, or I doubted him. So I asked "are you sure it all closed up, no worries" "Nah mate, its all good" Which, honestly, I was happy about. I had just got home from a hard training session, then had a big dinner. I felt lazy.

I didn't go down, I would have noticed the wrong order on the roost.

Roll on 4:40am, the sun was just coming up and I could hear a heap of noise in the coop from bed. Not usual for us, so I went down to make sure that dam cat had not found a way in.

Marrie the French Wheaten Maran was stiff as a board under the roost. Perched above on either side were the Rock sisters, in their usual roosting place. Marrie normally roosts far away from them.

She has blood spots about her face, and very advance rigour, but from what I could see without opening her up was in relative good condition. Only marks were around her face.

She had laid a perfectly fine egg on Tuesday so I doubt it's that. Only thing I can think of that goes with the marks is that she was bullied to death in the dark.

A sad loss for us, she was so timid, and a family favourite as she was the type of girl who would run up for a pat, eat from the hand and laid lovely large dark brown eggs for us most days. Never had an issue with her. Alicia favourite.

To add salt to the wound, it was my youngest sons birthday that morning, I had to make sure everything was cleaned up and sorted before he saw it, then find the right time to explain to the family. We didn't say much to my brother, not sure if it was his 'fault', he was not to know. Even still, I don't want to place blame, I just want to understand whats happening so we can stop it from happening again.

I am starting to wonder again about this chicken keeping thing, certainly takes it's toll.

Oh no Ben! I'm so sorry for the loss of Marrie. It is certainly a strange circumstance...doesn't make much sense to me. I suppose it's possible that in the dark she couldn't see to avoid the Rock sister's attack...perhaps fell from the roost and broke her neck?? Or what Fancy suggests about rats. Well, it stinks regardless. We lose a little piece of our hearts to some of these funny fuzzy creatures. You provide a wonderful little world for your flock and it really has been a great experience for your kids. Not enough kids have any idea of where food comes from. Stay calm and carry on!

I have read that rats could do this sort of thing, but I have never seen one here.

The kids spotted a tiny mouse once, so I went and bought traps to keep around the feed bins (wheelie bins) and to date we have only caught one mouse, and never seen another.

Where, I have seen our chickens peck another on the roost until it moves away. At night they put themselves to bed and sort it all out before it gets dark. That particular night, it was full dark by them time they were put on the roost. That and the proximity to where the two top hens sleep.

I would think a cat did it around here before a rat, maybe it's because of the cats I don't see any rats!

Anyway, it's can't be changed now, she's gone. At least Alicia has calmed down. She has never liked those Rocks, especially the one that lays uneven shells all the time.

I have read that rats could do this sort of thing, but I have never seen one here.

The kids spotted a tiny mouse once, so I went and bought traps to keep around the feed bins (wheelie bins) and to date we have only caught one mouse, and never seen another.

Where, I have seen our chickens peck another on the roost until it moves away. At night they put themselves to bed and sort it all out before it gets dark. That particular night, it was full dark by them time they were put on the roost. That and the proximity to where the two top hens sleep.

I would think a cat did it around here before a rat, maybe it's because of the cats I don't see any rats!

Anyway, it's can't be changed now, she's gone. At least Alicia has calmed down. She has never liked those Rocks, especially the one that lays uneven shells all the time.

I would be happy to share some of my marans eggs with you and Alicia if you ever decide you would like to try again.

Thanks very much for the offer Satay.

We are done for hatching for a little bit, but I think that is the breed we prefer. I love our Salmon Fav, and our Maran, both lay lovely eggs too.

Someday, we might just take you up on that offer.

Commiserations on your loss, we all know how much it hurts to lose a member of your flock. If you have never seen rats then I wouldn't be leaning towards that because there would be obvious marks on the body not just the face and other birds would probably have injuries. As for the bullying suggestion it seems unlikely that a birds would kill a fellow flock member unless there was a history of that bird being bullied. Unlikely but not impossible and I cant see another option :/

Back
Top Bottom