Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I think the hatch before we had one chick (Tas) and we bought a couple of day olds to keep it company, but the Minirca died the first day, two were males and we kept the Cochin (Ginger) and The cross breed Tas.

We have 13 ladies, and after a careful examinations if our 14th bird it is a slow developing male, 100%!

I got a hold of him and had a look for some saddle feathers and unfortunately found them. I

We have some news! Something worth updating over other than the frustration of hatching males hahaha

We have two broodies, one nearly finished and one not long started. Both have parented before. We though about picking up some eggs, but thought against it with recent high temps, and a local breeder having a sale on young chicks.

After a couple of false starts getting to the breeder, today we came home with 10 fuzzy butts!

2x SLW
4x Welsummers
2x FWM
1x Black Aussie
1x Blue Aussie

Fingers crossed we have a few females in there. They are all under a week old, but a few are already showing some feathers.

We plonked 5 under each mum in their normal nests while we got the rooster box converted as a broody box. But, I think these chicks were too old as most did not stay under the broodies, some of the bigger ones hopped out to explore the coop.

We tried to pen them in, we tried to move them to the broody box, none worked, everyone was stressed and just wanted things how they were.

Reluctantly, I dragged out the multi coloured brooder box and lined it. Looks like we are hand raising these fluffies. Good that they will be used to use, bad in that it makes for more work for me, just as I am getting more busy during the days.

I grabbed some phone pics in the box on the way home, but will have to get some better pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm sure your boys can pitch in with the work. Strangely enough, chicken jobs are the only ones I find easy to get the kids to do. I'm going a touch green over your Wellies. I'll just have to enjoy them vicariously so I look forward to the pics.

We were happy to get a few breeds we have had before. I don't think they will lay the darkest eggs, but her lines are normally not too bad.

In the shoe box (I have a couple laying about!)

First attempt at the adoption process, it all looked so good to begin with!

Then after every attempt we could make, we got the brooder box eady.

I also had a 50k night race on the weekend. Was a great little 3km loop course. I was happy with a comfortable pace and finished in 5:08. (Sorry it's sideways)

Have a great day, I am off to work.

We were happy to get a few breeds we have had before. I don't think they will lay the darkest eggs, but her lines are normally not too bad. In the shoe box (I have a couple laying about!) First attempt at the adoption process, it all looked so good to begin with! Then after every attempt we could make, we got the brooder box eady. I also had a 50k night race on the weekend. Was a great little 3km loop course. I was happy with a comfortable pace and finished in 5:08. (Sorry it's sideways) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Have a great day, I am off to work.
Gratz on your race and the little ones as well. I love how you describe the little 3km loop. I would need paramedics if I tried to run that far (3km). I could not even fathom 50km. so :bow well done :weee

Back
Top Bottom