Our Silkie needs a friend!!

My silkies lay about 6 eggs a week. Yes you can eat them, they are just smaller than large fowl eggs. Broody means she will sit on eggs and wait for them to hatch. She wants to be momma. She will not lay eggs when she is broody. She might even growl at you if you try to pick her up or see what she is sitting on. Silkies do not need eggs to sit on to become broody. Mine went broody on an empty nest.

How many eggs do you get from silkies? Are they good to eat? Everything I have read about silkies says they are broody. What does that really mean? As you can tell I really don't know much about chickens but my daughter and I fell in love with this silkie. She named her Blueberry! Thanks again.

They are considered "fair" layers, so 4-5 small eggs per week. However, you will not get that many eggs every week, because they are so broody.

Broodiness is a hormonal change that some hens undergo when they've laid a clutch of eggs. That's when they start to sit on them to incubate them. Many modern poultry breeds have had the urge to sit on egg bred out of them, but Silkies are champs at this. When a hen is broody, she will sit on the nest (even an empty nest, or one with golf balls in it) and only get up rarely to eat or drink. She will not lay eggs. If you allow her to sit on fertile eggs, she will sit until the eggs hatch, then raise and defend the babies before she resumes laying again.

Our silkie doesn't have the poofball of hair on her head, do you think a bantam cochin would get along with her?

How many eggs do you get from silkies? Are they good to eat? Everything I have read about silkies says they are broody. What does that really mean? As you can tell I really don't know much about chickens but my daughter and I fell in love with this silkie. She named her Blueberry! Thanks again.

I've new to silkies too. My chicken hatched out some silkies eggs a week ago.

I'm sure they do not lay as much as chickens that were bred to produce eggs but you should get at least 100 a year. Having Large breed chicken that lays large eggs, I was surprise how small the eggs were compared to my orpingtons.
ep.gif

I've ate some when I was in China in the form a of chicken stew. It was really good. They have dark skin and meat is darker too. Very rich flavor.

Broody mean: Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them. My orpingtons just came out of they broodiness. I will tell you they will brood even if there isn't a rooster or eggs to hatch.

I have six baby silkies and I'm entirely new to the breed also. I've heard that if you want to cook them for meat purposes then they are considered a chinese delicacy! Who would've known? Silkies lay basically every other day if that helps. Silkies make wonderful mothers also, and it has been known for them to even adopt ducklings into their hatchlings! SO CUTE! I would quickly get another silkie because chickens can easily get lonely and die. Hope I helped!

silkies are not constantly broody. they go broody whenever they want (some more than others) I find mine go broody when I leave eggs in the nest, and when the weather warms up. silkies are amazing pets, and I have found them very enjoyable. I am not familiar with cochin behavior so I cant say a cochin will be a good choice.

Cochins are another bantam breed known for broodiness and sweet dispositions. I have a frizzled Cochin hen in with my Silkies, and she's just the sweetest little thing. The Silkies some times pick on her. Anyway, there can be a rotten egg in every bunch, but my Cochin and Silkies do well together. You might also consider a bantam Polish. They are another crested breed, so should fit right in with your Silkie. They're also not known to be sitters. I must admit though, my bantam Polish is a little weirdo. It'll be just laying there chilling out one minute, then it'll be popping around like a jumping bean. Its also friendlier if I keep its crest trimmed back from its eyes. I've startled it a few times and its taken off and run into the side of the coop in a panic. If it can see, it comes right up to me to be picked up though. Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
Cochins are another bantam breed known for broodiness and sweet dispositions. I have a frizzled Cochin hen in with my Silkies, and she's just the sweetest little thing. The Silkies some times pick on her. Anyway, there can be a rotten egg in every bunch, but my Cochin and Silkies do well together. You might also consider a bantam Polish. They are another crested breed, so should fit right in with your Silkie. They're also not known to be sitters. I must admit though, my bantam Polish is a little weirdo. It'll be just laying there chilling out one minute, then it'll be popping around like a jumping bean. Its also friendlier if I keep its crest trimmed back from its eyes. I've startled it a few times and its taken off and run into the side of the coop in a panic. If it can see, it comes right up to me to be picked up though. Good luck deciding!
okay so a cochin is a possible coop-mate for a silkie. and I hear cochins are good egg layers too

Mine lays very well. She usually lays for 3-4 days, then takes a day off....when she's not broody :p
My Silkies are pretty much the same though, good layers when they aren't trying to hatch their eggs. I LOVE to hatch though, so it works out well for me :)

I have to disagree with the typical rating of Silkies. My hen is a fantastic layer, and lays 7 a week. No joke. My other hen, well she has an issue that causes her not to lay. They both are great mothers, and have raised about 7 batches together.
Our silkie doesn't have the poofball of hair on her head, do you think a bantam cochin would get along with her?
I love my bantam cochin. They really are wonderful birds. I think a cochin would get along just fine with your silkie. :)

Back
Top Bottom