Out of 5 hens only one is laying (ALL SAME AGE) WHY?

FrankieMcElfresh

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Ohio
okay I have 3 white hens and 2 brown hens, I bought them all in april on the same day so they are all same age and they turned 20 weeks old this week but only one white hen has started laying, she has laid one egg a day since, but the other 4 have not, why is that? all 3 of the white hens have dark red combs and waddles while the two brown hens dont have a waddle or comb at all thats visible...but how can that be when they are all same age? any info for me please?

What breed of pullets are they? Every breed matures at a differing rate. It all depends on what your girls are. Certain Hybrids will lay sooner and more regularly than others. The one that is laying already may be a heavy producing breed.

What AL said....

Plus....I believe even same breed, same age....first lay will differ slightly.

I kinda looked at it like this when I was W.A.I.T.I.N.G.------I did not have any of my 4 children at "40" weeks. There might be some women out there who did/do, but I don't know any.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but that thought helped me through the anticipation of my first egg and the 3000 nest box checks per day!!
he.gif

They will come....and it will be GRRRRRRRRRRRRReat!
big_smile.png

Mother Nature is fickle at times... I got my three girls at point of lay, and they all were same breed, same size, looked the same maturity. One got the bright red comb and wattles and started laying about 8 weeks after I got her. The other two took another month after that.

Interestingly, only the first one to lay does the egg squat for me. The others never did, and still don't, even though all three are now at the "egg a day" stage.

ETA: Kaybats - what a great way to look at it! LOL I had my three at 37 wks, 40wks and 42 weeks, so I can definitely relate.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's true. I have 9 chickens, all 22 1/2 weeks and only one of them is laying. She started laying exactly 4 weeks ago today. I do have another chicken in this group that is the same breed as she is, and she hasn't started laying. It's making me crazy. But I do try to remember that it is going to happen. It's not like I have pullets who aren't going to lay eggs. They will lay when they are ready, but it is frustrating!

I have 14 pullets at 15 weeks and I can't wait to find mine first Egg! I also have to Roosters in the same group which they started crowing a week ago. ( I LOVE IT) I got into chickens last october. My cousin had some gave me 8 girls. We built a 6X8 insulated coop w/power last year. Now almost a year later and we just set up another 7X8 coop next to hit. I guess you could say I'm addicted!!!

This makes me feel much better... I'm a new chicken owner, I love my girls and now I don't feel as crazy for checking on them 3000 times a day. Out of my 7 hens only one has started laying and she does the squat. I was relieved when she started laying she is by far my friendliest girl. I was so afraid she was a rooster..

Back
Top Bottom