Outdoor brooder

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
Hello all!
I have a batch of 15 chicks arriving this week and I just started rethinking how to brood them. I live in north Texas and currently our high is 97 and low in the high 60’s. Although (hopefully) it was cool off a bit soon. It won’t be cold for at least a couple of months. So I was wondering if I can use this coop that’s currently unoccupied as an outdoor brooder? I bought a heat plate as well (making the switch from the heat lamp). This is my biggest group of chicks so I’m thinking my previous plastic tote brooder isn’t going to work. Should the ramp be removed? Thoughts?

Attachments

• A0A5A791-22BD-432D-90E4-92D1F02D3141.jpeg
    A0A5A791-22BD-432D-90E4-92D1F02D3141.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
Hello all!
I have a batch of 15 chicks arriving this week and I just started rethinking how to brood them. I live in north Texas and currently our high is 97 and low in the high 60’s. Although (hopefully) it was cool off a bit soon. It won’t be cold for at least a couple of months. So I was wondering if I can use this coop that’s currently unoccupied as an outdoor brooder? I bought a heat plate as well (making the switch from the heat lamp). This is my biggest group of chicks so I’m thinking my previous plastic tote brooder isn’t going to work. Should the ramp be removed? Thoughts?
The ramp should be removed and the opening covered with chicken wire temporarily until the chicks develop some wing feathers and can start being taught how to navigate the ramp. Probably at a week old. It's going to be a tight fit for 15 chicks but once they can access the outdoor portion, it will be better.
Do you have an adult flock in a real coop already?

I brood outdoors and I love it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

They adapt themselves off the heat naturally -- even moreso now that I have a brooder plate -- and there's no mess or odor in the house.

It will be a while before they learn to use the ramp on that coop.
I had read somewhere they might fall off a ramp but you’re probably right because I had to teach my others how to use it. So my question now is, should I mainly keep them in the bottom on the ground with the plate or move them up to the coop part at night?

The ramp should be removed and the opening covered with chicken wire temporarily until the chicks develop some wing feathers and can start being taught how to navigate the ramp. Probably at a week old. It's going to be a tight fit for 15 chicks but once they can access the outdoor portion, it will be better.
Do you have an adult flock in a real coop already?
Yes we have a barn we just converted to a coop for our older girls. They’re not need to be in this very long. The door closes on the coop portion. Are you saying to keep them in the coop portion mainly?

The door closes on the coop portion. Are you saying to keep them in the coop portion mainly?
You don't want to close a solid door where the ramp is. You need the ventilation.
Just keep them in the coop portion until the chicks have developed enough wing feathers to be able to really get a good jump and flutter or they might have a tough time with the ramp. Once they are much more active and flitting around, remove the screening of chicken wire or whatever you want to use to maintain ventilation and start training them to use the ramp.
Put them all down in the outer part and put a trail of mealworms or some other treat up the ramp (make sure you have a dish of grit available for them before offering the treats) and train them to go up the ramp. It would obviously be best to do this on a very warm day so if you don't have time to watch them, they won't get cold. You'll need to herd them each up the ramp in the evening then put the screening back in front of the door until they are all very comfortable using the ramp without help.

You don't want to close a solid door where the ramp is. You need the ventilation.
Just keep them in the coop portion until the chicks have developed enough wing feathers to be able to really get a good jump and flutter or they might have a tough time with the ramp. Once they are much more active and flitting around, remove the screening of chicken wire or whatever you want to use to maintain ventilation and start training them to use the ramp.
Put them all down in the outer part and put a trail of mealworms or some other treat up the ramp (make sure you have a dish of grit available for them before offering the treats) and train them to go up the ramp. It would obviously be best to do this on a very warm day so if you don't have time to watch them, they won't get cold. You'll need to herd them each up the ramp in the evening then put the screening back in front of the door until they are all very comfortable using the ramp without help.
I’m thinking it will be too hot during the day to keep them in the coop portion. I had planned to keep them on the bottom during the day and put them in the coop part at night. That’s a good idea about adding wire on the door.

Due to number of chicks and the temperatures I personally would keep them strictly in the bottom portion (so remove ramp for now), provided this unit can be placed somewhere safe from predators. You can zip tie some cardboard snugly to some of the sides to provide shade and wind breaks, depending on direction of your winds.

My brooder is recycled from a prefab and sits on the ground, and I brood in cooler temps than you have:
brood2.jpg

Due to number of chicks and the temperatures I personally would keep them strictly in the bottom portion (so remove ramp for now), provided this unit can be placed somewhere safe from predators. You can zip tie some cardboard snugly to some of the sides to provide shade and wind breaks, depending on direction of your winds.

My brooder is recycled from a prefab and sits on the ground, and I brood in cooler temps than you have:
View attachment 3266645
I’m definitely more concerned with them overheating than being too cold. I plan to put it close to the house under the awning. It’s shaded pretty much all day. I can have some tarps ready to go if rain is expected. Thank you for the picture, that helps a lot!

I just pulled the weather forecast for the next week in your general area.
I agree that they should be kept only in the bottom of the coop and I wouldn't bother with the brooder plate. Just use a huddle box and they'll be fine.
How do you stand that heat??!!

Back
Top Bottom