Oyster shell.

Texag87

Free Ranging
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Aggieland
I feed Purina flock raiser pellets to my older ducks( almost two years old) We are down to three ducks and a drake . My Pekin has not layed A real egg in almost a month. She layed two shell less eggs last week. Monday and Tuesday we got no eggs. Today we got a small Rouen or a large K/C egg . Late this evening I found a shell less large K/C or small Rouen egg. My main question is do oyster shells get old and ineffective? The bag is from January 2019. And has been stored in the shed .

I feed Purina flock raiser pellets to my older ducks( almost two years old) We are down to three ducks and a drake . My Pekin has not layed A real egg in almost a month. She layed two shell less eggs last week. Monday and Tuesday we got no eggs. Today we got a small Rouen or a large K/C egg . Late this evening I found a shell less large K/C or small Rouen egg. My main question is do oyster shells get old and ineffective? The bag is from January 2019. And has been stored in the shed .

That's fine. Calcium is inert. I've been using the same bag for 3 years.

I'm not familiar with the Purina Flock-Raiser Pellets. We use a waterfowl maintenance feed and then offer oyster shells and egg shells for the girls (we have a mixed flock with one drake). We have noticed that many of our girls prefer the egg shells over the oyster shells, so we try to get them as many as possible. We do get soft shell eggs sometimes.

I give mine Purina Duck Pellets and oyster shell on the side. And yes I do the same thing with shells. My girls love them. If you are having shell less or soft shelled eggs you might need to supplement with some Calcium Citrate. @DuckyDonna knows much more than I about this. She helped me with one of my girls .

Yes, @quackiemama is right. Just go to walmart and get a bottle of calcium citrate. I bust the tablets up with pliers or a hammer which is a pain but it doesn't come in a powder and I tore up my coffee bean grinder using it for this purpose. I bet if you used a food processor it might work though. Maybe do the whole jar at once and sprinkle it on the oyster shells.
IMG_7255.JPG

Back
Top Bottom