Padfoot22: Not a new member but not introduced

Padfoot22

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2016
Hi, I'm Padfoot! The name is a reference that Harry Potter fans would recognize - yes, I'm a fan. ha,ha!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My husband started keeping 10 chicken flocks (off and on) in 2006 on a plant nursery that we let free roam to help with plant pests (yes, it worked well - especially June beetles). Then when we closed the nursery in 2011, I missed having chickens so 2 years ago we built a backyard coop/run with a fenced back yard so we could have free range backyard set up. We started with 6 chicks of 3 different breeds (see the next few questions on details). Some hiccups at first but going well now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 3 now but plan to get 3 more in the coming month. Illness and predators unfortunately took 3 of my 6 in the last year.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Rhode Island Red, Buckeye, and Easter Egger. Have had Black Jersey Giant, Buff Orphington and Barred Rock also.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
A book my husband purchased about raising chickens referred to the website. He is more of a book reference guy - but I like this website better - lot's of current information that is very helpful that the book didn't have.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Cooking, art (drawing, watercolor painting, acrylic painting), jewelry making, reading (sci/fi, fantasy, horror).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am disabled and my husband is a small business owner. Our son is currently in college. Currently have 3 cats and a gecko but have had a menagerie of different animals over the years - farm and pets. When we had the plant nursery, we had 10 chickens, 5 sheep, and 2 pigs. We would like to have a small farm again someday! My son is an ecology major now - he has had pet dogs, cats, turtle, gecko, frogs, fish, and bugs. So we are a family of nature and life lovers.

IMG_0842.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1101.JPG

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you (finally) joined us. Who doesn't like Harry Potter? :D There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom