Paint for inside chicken coop

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We're considering painting the inside of our coop...and know some of you have done so...is there any special considerations as to the type of paint we should choose?

THe coop is insulated, and the walls inside are plywood. If we paint it, we'd paint it white.

Thanks!
Angie

I have a perfect answer for you. We got exterior primer and paint and it worked perfectly! We got the high gloss and it makes for GREAT easy cleanup! Just let it air out for a week before adding hens
smile.png
Good luck! Paint the floor too! IT's easy clean up too!

I'd use latex too. Oil leaves fumes for way longer, and if you get a little water behind the paint, it can't evaporate and you are more likely to get rot, or to have the paint peel off. I would never use oil on anything outside (unless it was free--then I might throw caution to the wind.) but then again, you were asking about using it *inside,* weren't you. lol

Hubby does pro painting, and I asked him about this one for my 'chicken buddies' LOL!!! Here's what he said to do:

For exterior:
Caulk every crack, and caulk nail heads. This seals everything. Raw edges of wood need to be caulked, too. (For nail heads and raw edges just smear caulk over them to seal them up) Then PRIME with oil-based KILZ. Once the KILZ dries, PAINT with a good quality exterior paint. Hubby suggested Southwest Builders exterior LATEX from Sherwin Williams. Bottom line: be sure that all nail holes and raw edges are sealed before priming/painting to prevent water damage and minimize rot.

For interior:
This one's easy. He said he would not touch anything other than KILZ oil based for the inside. Your coop needs to be watertight. Make sure everything's coated well and use two to three coats of KILZ. This is both the primer and the paint.

Last edited:
Thanks for the paint responses & tips -

I like the idea of painting the inside of the coop to be water tight. Although my DH is excellent at building the coop, I'm the painter. I think if we are taking the time to paint the outside to appease the neighboors, why not paint the inside to appease me - LOL!

We have purchased a sheet of anolium floor covering to put down on the floor of the coop instead of painting. I hope that will be easy cleaning?

Thanks again.

When we were getting ready to paint our coop interior, I looked on this site to get some ideas. One person mentioned Sherwin Williams Harmony interior paint due to the very low level of anything possibly toxic. Check with Sherwin Williams, they can give you the real description but that is what we used and it looks great, easy to clean and I'm comfortable with our choice.

Good luck, post pics when it's finished!

Back
Top Bottom