Gonecluckingmad

Chirping
Sep 21, 2019
Hi fellow Chicken People šŸ˜Š

My orphington, Big Booty Judy, isn't feeling her best. She's lethargic and pale. I offered her electrolytes and probiotics, she drank it earlier but not now. I have looked for lice/mites but didn't see any (are they visible to the eye?). I also cleaned put the coop and put down fresh bedding with diatomaceous earth.

The rest of my flock is fine.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have been busy caring for my recently paralyzed dog/adapting to that.

Attachments

• 20210522_190015.jpg
    20210522_190015.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 51
How old is Big Booty Judy?

Is she laying eggs?
I would make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any swelling or feeling of fluid? Sometimes a hen can start having reproductive issues.

Lice/mites you should be able to see. Here's a good article that has photos. https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

How old is Big Booty Judy?

Is she laying eggs?
I would make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any swelling or feeling of fluid? Sometimes a hen can start having reproductive issues.

Lice/mites you should be able to see. Here's a good article that has photos. https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Yes, she's still laying. I will check her crop in the morning! Good idea! No swelling anywhere, she has definitely lost weight.

My goodness, that is definitely pale compared to the previous picture. Do her pupils appear round in person, (because they look a bit irregular in shape in the pictures?) Mites, cancer, fatty liver disease, or swallowing something sharp could all be causes of being pale, or possibly bleeding.

I checked her crop this morning, it was empty and she was hungry for breakfast. Her pupils look round/ normal. She's still really pale and lethargic.

Maybe a de-wormer??

Back
Top Bottom