Panting chicks

Aug 3, 2022
My chicks are about 7 weeks old. They are a pearl star leghorn breed. They seem to get hot very easily even when they were very young. It was around 90 today in Northern Ohio and they were all panting and dropping their wings. They have shade and I bought them a 2.5 gallon waterer and filled it up with cold water. Other than panting and dropping their wings they are fine. They continue to play etc...Should I be concerned that maybe this breed isnt good for warmer climates? Is it normal for chicks to pant around this temperature/time of the year? Any tips on how to cool them down?
I'm a new Chicken owner and any tips at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Panting for chickens is as normal as dogs and cats panting. It is a way to discharge excess body heat.

Shade, of course, is necessary, and moving air is also a must. Set up a fan if the air is stagnant, especially in the coop. But it's meant to circulate the air, not blow on the chicks.

Another great way to cool down chickens on a hot day is to empty all your ice cube trays into a shallow pan so the chicks can play in them and drink the ice melt. Another way to cool them down is to dampen the dirt or sand so they can dirt bathe and exchange the heat in their bodies for the cooler soil.

Long ago, I lived in the desert where the temperature could get as high as 120F. There was a little ground squirrel that was always running around even during the hottest part of the day. I always wondered how this tiny animal kept from dying of heat exposure. Then I saw its secret. In spite of there not being any damp ground, the little squirrel instead took advantage of the tiniest bit of shade cast by a cactus, there being no trees. It would prostrate itself on the small patch of shade, making like a rug. It would pause there for about one minute, perfectly still, transferring the excess heat of its body to that shady spot, then off he would go, as refreshed as if he had just had an iced tea in an air conditioned cafe.

We've been in the upper 90's and low 100's here in SE MO for weeks now. If not actual temps, then "feels-like" temps, with not much relief in sight. I've lost two hens already, I believe to heat. I change out their water at least once daily, or it gets "bathtub warm." I also put ice bottles in it to keep it cool. These are recycled PowerAde bottles I've filled halfway with water and frozen. Then I top them off with cold water, put the lids on, and put them in their water buckets. If I do this about noon and put the buckets in the shade, the water stays cool till evening. If the water gets warm they won't drink it and they can dehydrate and overheat. When Rojo, my rooster, hears me refill their buckets, he leads the ladies over for a drink.

Panting for chickens is as normal as dogs and cats panting. It is a way to discharge excess body heat.

Shade, of course, is necessary, and moving air is also a must. Set up a fan if the air is stagnant, especially in the coop. But it's meant to circulate the air, not blow on the chicks.

Another great way to cool down chickens on a hot day is to empty all your ice cube trays into a shallow pan so the chicks can play in them and drink the ice melt. Another way to cool them down is to dampen the dirt or sand so they can dirt bathe and exchange the heat in their bodies for the cooler soil.

Long ago, I lived in the desert where the temperature could get as high as 120F. There was a little ground squirrel that was always running around even during the hottest part of the day. I always wondered how this tiny animal kept from dying of heat exposure. Then I saw its secret. In spite of there not being any damp ground, the little squirrel instead took advantage of the tiniest bit of shade cast by a cactus, there being no trees. It would prostrate itself on the small patch of shade, making like a rug. It would pause there for about one minute, perfectly still, transferring the excess heat of its body to that shady spot, then off he would go, as refreshed as if he had just had an iced tea in an air conditioned cafe.
Thank you! It's supposed to be around 90 again Sunday. I will put all my ice out in a shallow pan for them that day.

Back
Top Bottom