ZombieApples

Hatching
Jan 24, 2021
Hello, I have a silky rooster who, about a week ago, started limping. It was very slight the first day, then the next he was lying down to eat, and on the third day i had turned a dog kennel into a hospital because he wouldnt get up at all. He also eats very minimum and only notceably drinks when i put the waterer up to his beak. I put vitamins and electrolytes in the water and checked him for injuries to find none. When i move his legs his toes will curl, but he doesnt seem as plucky as he should be. I also cleaned his butt as some poo accumuliated. Tonight when i checked on him, i noticed there were a ton of worms or maggots in the poo around his vent, but not really in his vent. I couldnt really see as it was dark, but im thinking maybe fly strike? But the wiggly things were very active and seemed grey or black in color. But like i said, it was dark.
I am wondering if the worms or maggots, whatever they are, are possibly the cause of his paralysis? I dont think the paralysis is mareks cause he is atleast a year old now. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.

It is hard to know if he could have Mareks, but the maggot problem needs to be treated right away. Warm soak to his bottom in Epsom salts or dish soapy water, the remove every maggot seen. Use a magnifying glass and tweezers. Dry him well, and use a hairdryer. Vetericyn is very good to spray on his vent. Maggots may continue to hatch out over 24 hours, so he may need a second or third soak. Here is another good article about flystrike treatment and prevention:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Back
Top Bottom