ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
What type of chickens are of a partridge or black breasted color/pattern?
Is a Black Copper Marans Black Breasted??
I know there are Partridge Cochin and Partridge Rock, are there more?
Thanks very much for the help!!

Also, any other chicken besides the white leghorn that has dominate white gene?
Thanks!!

What type of chickens are of a partridge or black breasted color/pattern?
Is a Black Copper Marans Black Breasted??
I know there are Partridge Cochin and Partridge Rock, are there more?
Thanks very much for the help!!

Thanks!!
Hi, there are so many that fit those description. We would need a bit more info to go on.
Why those colours? Are you looking for layers, showers, meat birds or just pretty chickens?

Hi, there are so many that fit those description. We would need a bit more info to go on.
Why those colours? Are you looking for layers, showers, meat birds or just pretty chickens?
I just want to know all the chicken breeds that have those colors. I wanna make some chickens, I don't care what the breed. I definitely don't need a meat that is gonna die though. Thanks

Okay well here a few to get you going.

--- Partridge ---
Silkies
Wyandottes
Plymouth Rocks
Cochins
Chantecler
Brahma
Welsummer
Easter Egger

--- Dominant white ---
This gene can be bred onto many birds.
Plymouth Rock
Orpington
Rhode island red
Cochin
Australorp
Araucana
Easter Egger

The black copper marans is black breasted, the Sumatra is completely black, including the skin if you are after an interesting looking bird.

Here is a picture of a Black Copper Marans hen
1645614873407.png

Last edited:
Okay well here a few to get you going.

--- Partridge ---
Silkies
Wyandottes
Plymouth Rocks
Cochins
Chantecler
Brahma
Welsummer
Easter Egger

--- Dominant white ---
Plymouth Rock
Orpington
Rhode island red
Cochin
Australorp
Araucana
Easter Egger

The black copper marans is black breasted, the serama is completely black, including the skin if you are after an interesting looking bird.

Here is a picture of a Black Copper Marans hen
View attachment 3002449
oh wow thank you so much that's is exactly what i wanted!
I didn't know does the rhode island white have dominant white? thanks!

I just want to know all the chicken breeds that have those colors.
https://amerpoultryassn.com/accepted-breeds-varieties/
You can look at what breeds & varieties are recognized by the American Poultry Association. There are a few options at the top to sort what you want to see

(There are some breeds that exist, and some color varieties of breeds, that they do not recognize-- but that should still be a good place to start.)

For any color, it sometimes goes by different names in different breeds. Example: Black Breasted is also Duckwing (Golden Duckwing, Silver Duckwing, etc.) and is also the color of Welsummers and Brown Leghorns.

You can also go the webpage of almost any hatchery, and search for the name of a color, and breeds with that color will pop up. A few hatcheries that have lots of breeds:
www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
www.idealpoultry.com
www.cacklehatchery.com
www.welphatchery.com

The most common breeds tend to be found at all hatcheries, but different hatcheries will tend to have different choices among the rarer breeds.

Dominant White changes black to white. So it's easy to recognize in chickens that would normally have a black-and-brown color pattern, because they have white-and-brown instead. So it's found in colors like White Laced Red, Red Pyle, Golden Neck, and even the common Red Sexlinks (they have white markings, where a Rhode Island Red would have black instead. Red Sexlinks go by many names, such as Red Star, Golden Comet, and ISA Brown.)

Red Pyle is Black Breasted Red with Dominant White.

--- Dominant white ---
Rhode island red
Dominant White is in Rhode Island WHITE chickens, but not in Rhode Island Reds.
Crossing the two varieties (RIR rooster, RIW hen) give the red sexlink hybrids that are so common as egg layers. Those hybrid females show the red from RIR, and the Dominant White from RIW (white tail and other white markings.)

Crossing the two varieties (RIR rooster, RIW hen) give the red sexlink hybrids that are so common as egg layers. Those hybrid females show the red from RIR, and the Dominant White from RIW (white tail and other white markings.)
Thank you!

Sorry i should have said it more clearly, Dominant white "Can be bred into many varieties"

Also worth noting dominant white is a more interesting gene if you are interested in getting a lot of variety in colour.

Dominant white will hide black, but not red(unless it is pure), making it less effective then recessive white at producing a white bird. Dominant white is often described as leaky, as it allows some pigment to come through into the white colour. The correct term for this is incompletely dominant.

If you are after a pure white bird then recessive white when it is pure(two copies of recessive white gene) is said to be better at hiding colour then dominant white, and there is a very good reason for this. Recessive white can hide both base colours black AND red more effectively then dominant white.

Last edited:
Sorry i should have said it more clearly, Dominant white "Can be bred into many varieties"
Yes, it can be bred into any variety that does not yet have it.

But OP asked about breeds that have it, so giving a short list of ones that do NOT have it was rather confusing.

Dominant white will hide black, but not red(unless it is pure),
Dominant white does not hide red, whether it's pure or not. White Laced Red Cornish chickens are an obvious example of pure Dominant White (turns the black lacing to white) that does not affect red.

If you want to get an all-white bird using Dominant White, you need the genes for an all black bird (no red), and then the Dominant White turns all the black into white.

Back
Top Bottom