PBA(Parrot Beak Asil/Aseel) USA, Project(And Discussion Thread)

If you're a fan of Oriental Gamefowl, & want a unique Breed?

• Total voters
So here's why I like the Sumatra rooster

Pea comb
Predominately aggressive towards it's own kind and only during mating season.
Flight ability
Multiple spurs

Additionally I consider for color and size as I wanted black and a smaller built rooster (personal choice.)

I also wonder if the long tail enhances their prowess to threats being a smaller bird by giving them a larger appearance.

I've heard both yes and no to foraging and setting, but I would think with their active personalities they could be taught to forage if not instinctual. Setting I'm not too concerned with getting from a rooster.

This will be the rooster for my black flock. I plan to breed my best Buckeyes with new Buckeye blood. Just not sure from where yet.

The black flock will be the experimental one where I might introduce Liege, Hmong, and my BJG. Later though I would love to see a Buckeye-Malay.

And perhaps use the Buckeyes for other projects too.

So here's why I like the Sumatra rooster

Pea comb
Predominately aggressive towards it's own kind and only during mating season.
Flight ability
Multiple spurs

Additionally I consider for color and size as I wanted black and a smaller built rooster (personal choice.)

I also wonder if the long tail enhances their prowess to threats being a smaller bird by giving them a larger appearance.

I've heard both yes and no to foraging and setting, but I would think with their active personalities they could be taught to forage if not instinctual. Setting I'm not too concerned with getting from a rooster.

This will be the rooster for my black flock. I plan to breed my best Buckeyes with new Buckeye blood. Just not sure from where yet.

The black flock will be the experimental one where I might introduce Liege, Hmong, and my BJG. Later though I would love to see a Buckeye-Malay.

And perhaps use the Buckeyes for other projects too.
The Cons, of Sumatra roosters: They can be very human aggressive(Mine wanted to kick my butt every day, even tried attacking me through the fence.) It would be sheer luck to get a none human aggressive rooster like my first one. Demon is #2, & acts like it too.

Got his butt Whooped in a fight by a Silkie(Project Giant Silkie), this year. Demon lost his place as Alpha. Terrified of the fuzzball :lol: .

But overall they do have alot of good traits, besides the aggression problem.

The Cons, of Sumatra roosters: They can be very human aggressive(Mine wanted to kick my butt every day, even tried attacking me through the fence.) It would be sheer luck to get a none human aggressive rooster like my first one. Demon is #2, & acts like it too.

Got his butt Whooped in a fight by a Silkie(Project Giant Silkie), this year. Demon lost his place as Alpha. Terrified of the fuzzball :lol: .

But overall they do have alot of good traits, besides the aggression problem.
Well the hatcheries of course say they're not aggressive to their owners. How are those spurs?

For now they will join my single flock, after that (summer/fall or the following spring) my BJG will start the black flock. I'll probably have them go with the black flock as they definitely have the right color.
At least you have a plan for them. I've got chicks I didn't have plans for: AustraWhite, Crested Cream Legbar, Jeresy Giant, & Olive Egger.

I'm thinking up a plan for the Olive Egger though.

Back
Top Bottom