Pea gravel for chicken run?

Lesli Hodges

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2017
Austin Texas USA
We have a new baby chicks there about 12 weeks old. Bought them a super cute chicken coop . We have them on dirt with wood shavings . I want to move them to the other side of the yard where we already have a bunch of Pea gravel. This side of the yard has a lot of shade. Can I raise these three chickens on Pea gravel ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 164
Pea gravel will likely be stinkier than the dirt and wood chips.
Which side of yard is shadier, gravel or wood chips?
What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile helps garner better answers/suggestions.

We live in Austin Texas. The side of the yard with the pea gravel has the most shade and does not have any drainage issues. Summers get about 100° winters generally aren't that cold maybe a couple of freezing days but generally mild . The coop is about 4 1/2 feet wide and about seven or 8 feet long . Four of us can pick it up and move it really anywhere in the yard but I wanted to actually fence in an area so they can free roam in the evenings when we're at home. The gravel side of the yard would be idea for that since it has the most shade . I have a water hose that I can wash the gravel often with no problem .

I plan to keep the house part upstairs packed with wood shavings. Just can't figure out about the gravel in the yard if it is appropriate for chickens to be on . I thought I might just go ahead and break out the gravel and put sand down for the floor of the chicken coop .

Thank you - I raked the gravel out as much as I could. So a little bit of gravel left on dirt - moved them over and we'll see how it goes . I'm only worried that they might eat a piece of gravel

Thank you - I raked the gravel out as much as I could. So a little bit of gravel left on dirt - moved them over and we'll see how it goes . I'm only worried that they might eat a piece of gravel
Well, chickens need digest granite grit anyway,
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf,
so eating a piece of gravel isn't going to hurt them.

I'd be more worried about poops accumulating in gravel, not decomposing as well as on wood chips, and stinking.

So since I removed most of the gravel and it's a dirt floor now with a little bit of gravel left not much do you think I should just go ahead and throw the wood chips down? Is that the best thing to do ? with the wood chips how often do you have to clean it ? do you just go in there with a little rake move it around or do we have to move the cage and completely remove all of the wood chips and replaced with brand-new ones once or twice a week ? I have a lot to learn about these chickens ! My concern with moving the chicken coop around is that the latch are not closing as well every time I move it ... i'm going to get a second hopper for the grit feed.

How often, and how, you'll need to clean is something you'll have to figure out as you go along. There are many variables, starting with space vs population.
The more space you have for 'X' number of birds makes everything easier.
Keeper access to said space and thus ease of maintenance is also a factor.
There's a good article about Space in my signature, check it out.

Will have to possibly burst your new chicken keeping bubble with some harsh truths.
Your tiny coop/run is going to be difficult to work with,
and will probably need frequent cleaning.
The tiny prefab coops are not well built with quality materials and usually way too small for happy, healthy chicken keeping, both from the birds and the keepers points of view.

I would strongly encourage you to think about building a larger coop and run,
and keep the tiny coop/run for an isolation/broody/chick grow out enclosure.

This is the technique I loosely follow for run bedding:
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

I have a large walk-in coop and run and never 'clean' poops from the run,
and there is rarely any nasty odors. The bedding of a good mix of dry plant materials use facilitates this nicely, it's basically no maintenance other than adding more material from time to time. I was able to start with a big load of tree trimmings from the power company that had been aged(6 months). I collect dry leaves in the fall (stored in feed bags in a shed) and add them occasionally, and other garden trimmings. I let my grass grow tall, mow and spread it out with discharge pattern, leave it to dry a few day, then push it into rows with the mower discharge, rake it up and add to run.
1027378-7d69f343da1530b0f9ac6a90cfaeef44.jpg

1027013-716dea6c90c51aea25d833ed52eba7b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom