Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

Question,i have two young males and three hens in a pen the males have been raised together do i have to seperate the males and if so what age. Thanks
Dennis

Dennis,
Based on my experience, IB roosters can coexist in a pen but, its dependent on the environment and personalities of the birds. If adequate space is offered and they have been together for awhile then you should be ok. If they are good greens or high % spaldings, forget it. Green roosters do not coexist very well at all, highly aggressive birds in most cases.

Gerald Barker

5$ a bird! Where do you live I want to get in on that lol.

Michigan. Bear in mind this post was made 6 years ago and I can no longer edit it. The last IB chick I bought was $10, and that was 3 years ago. Typically I see IB chicks under 3 months going for $15-20 now.

Michigan. Bear in mind this post was made 6 years ago and I can no longer edit it. The last IB chick I bought was $10, and that was 3 years ago. Typically I see IB chicks under 3 months going for $15-20 now.
Well I would even be willing to pay that most I ever see are in the 40-50$ range a piece

Well I would even be willing to pay that most I ever see are in the 40-50$ range a piece

Yeah, that's why there was a range put there. We surveyed, when I was making the original post, and people had a pretty wide regional discrepancy for prices. Last year at the swaps, IBs were running $15-20 (I sell my own dark pied IBs and reg IBs for $20), purples were running $20-30, pied IBs around $30, I sold my cameo pied hens for $40. Bear in mind, those were chicks. Adults at 1-2 years I've been seeing in the $40-80 range for IBs. I picked up two 2yo purple pied hens the year before last for $80 apiece. My opal male was $40 at three months old four years ago. Two years ago there was a really gorgeous java green hen at one of the swaps for like $200. Last year there was a 3yo bronze boy for $140. So, like. Yep. Prices are pretty low here I think, compared to other places.

Dennis,
Based on my experience, IB roosters can coexist in a pen but, its dependent on the environment and personalities of the birds. If adequate space is offered and they have been together for awhile then you should be ok. If they are good greens or high % spaldings, forget it. Green roosters do not coexist very well at all, highly aggressive birds in most cases.

Gerald Barker

These have been raised together as chicks so i think they would do ok. They don't seam to be agressive toward each other at all. Thanks for the info

Dennis

Hiya, I'm considering getting peafowl but I have a few queries that have briefly been touched on in the start post but anywho, basically I have 17 acres and plan to get some peafowl to free range, I have a flock of about 30 guineafowl so was wondering how do peafowl compare in noise to guineafowl? And how do they compare in disease resistance and hardiness as chicks? Also as I live in England it can get cold in winter but is mainly just wet and cloudy with temperatures around 0-10 degrees centigrade, will peafowl cope with this temperature whilst living outdoors in the trees with the guineafowl?

I have both for many years, Gunieas are a much nosier bird. Peafowl are only noisy during breeding season and if the are startled, They are loud when they do make noise but it isn"t constant like gunieas. They will do fine in the temperature but have something they can get out of the weather in a shed or something. I am not sure how you will do free ranging them. I think both chicks to be not as hardy as Chicken chicks.

I have stables and a hay barn for them to shelter in, but hopefully they will sleep in a large oak tree I have once they are full grown and I start letting them out, thanks for the response
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom