Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

well....................just for the sake of knowledge, as I am very much new to this beautiful and gorgeous bird ...............what is difference between pied and split as you have said that this is BS split to white ........now what I think that his parents were BS and white.......................so then what is pied gene, please don't mind .

Hafeez.
Hello Hafeez, may i ask where are you from? if you can read arabic i can help you with this.

There is a possibility that he is bs dark pied (two copies of the pied gene), as this also can show the white throat patch. Only true way to tell is like what was previously stated: to breed him to a white. If some offspring come out white, he is split white; if all come out pied, he is carrying 2 copies pied gene; if only some come out pied, he is carrying 1 copy pied.

Last edited:
OK................So what would be the best result,................... to mate him with whom , dark pied , pied, split , or white .

thanks

OK................So what would be the best result,................... to mate him with whom , dark pied , pied, split , or white .

thanks

The "Best" result depends on what you want. If your goal is to figure out what genes he carries then breed to a white hen and compare the offspring to Arbors post above. If your goal is to try to get a very colorful showy variety of whites and pieds as soon as you can, then I think a pied would be best. IMO
big_smile.png

I am thankful to all those who have taken interest and guided me a lot ....

....please tell me,.............. does hatching eggs survives in by air transportation and if that is of 22 hours .what are odds

of their survival and how much would be the percentage of success.

I don't know how well hatching eggs would do being shipped by air. However I do know that in my own country if I was to import eggs, they would have to be hatched at a government approved quarantine facility without me even being able to have access to them. That would mean I have to put complete faith in the people operating the facility.

My first peachicks
they are 2 months old
any info appreciated as i have chickens but don't know much about these guys

Hello @kristin07035 ,
It's probably best if you start a new thread if you have some questions about your new cute
big_smile.png
friends!
Also, what kind of information are you specifically looking for?
For general info, you were in the right place, the Peafowl Stickies; you might browse around there some more...

*eta
Ah, my mistake...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom