Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

Hi @new 2 pfowl
Thanks and yes looking for some general info. Never had peafowl before. Guy sold us these at our local poultry show today as a pair, but they look exactly alike to me just one is slightly bigger than the other so wondering how he knew.
He also said they can live in the run & shed/coop with my chickens but wondering can they all be fed the same food?

I agree, at this point both look like they are losing some of the stripes on the wings, this usually means they are female. However this year I had one just like your's and it had very little striping on it's wings, and it ended up being a male. Pictures showing the feathers on their chest/breast area may help, to nail it down.

Last edited:
Hi @new 2 pfowl
Thanks and yes looking for some general info. Never had peafowl before. Guy sold us these at our local poultry show today as a pair, but they look exactly alike to me just one is slightly bigger than the other so wondering how he knew.
He also said they can live in the run & shed/coop with my chickens but wondering can they all be fed the same food?
I can tell when they turn 3 weeks of age to about 5 weeks then there feathers start growing out muting the lines till around 3 months when they are growing newer feathers once again i can tell the difference.

Ok so when its time to integrate my peachicks with my pullets/hens is it also best to do at night?
They will all be sharing a shed coop & run area.

Last edited:
I remember when i first read about peafowl genetics that sex linked hens can't be split for other colors? Is that true? When mating purple peacock with opal hen will the hens off spring just be purple and not split for opal?!

I remember when i first read about peafowl genetics that sex linked hens can't be split for other colors? Is that true? When mating purple peacock with opal hen will the hens off spring just be purple and not split for opal?!

It is just the sex-linked colors they cannot be split to. Opal is not sex-linked which means the genes for opal are not located on the sex chromosomes. Female Offspring should be Purple split to Opal. At least that is my understanding as it was explained to me.

Last edited:
It is just the sex-linked colors they cannot be split to. Opal is not sex-linked which means the genes for opal are not located on the sex chromosomes. Female Offspring should be Purple split to Opal. At least that is my understanding as it was explained to me.
Hmmmm i'm still confused, if they cannot be split to other colors, how this purple hen will be split to opal?!

And sorry i don't understand anything sex chromosomes
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom