Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

Hmmmm i'm still confused, if they cannot be split to other colors, how this purple hen will be split to opal?!

And sorry i don't understand anything sex chromosomes
roll.png

The general belief is that hens cannot be split to Purple, Cameo, Peach, or any other sex-linked color. They can be split to Bronze, Opal, Midnight, or any other non-sex-linked color.

In humans the male has XY chromosomes and the female has XX chromosomes, it is reversed in birds. The male has XX and the female has XY. Sex-linked colors are believed to be carried on the X chromosome, since a hen only has 1 X chromosome she can only carry I color gene on that, so she will get the Purple gene from her father and have no other X chromosome on which to carry a sex-linked color. Opal is not sex-linked so it is carried at a different location and not affected by her only having that 1 X chromosome.

Last edited:
The general belief is that hens cannot be split to Purple, Cameo, Peach, or any other sex-linked color. They can be split to Bronze, Opal, Midnight, or any other non-sex-linked color.

In humans the male has XY chromosomes and the female has XX chromosomes, it is reversed in birds. The male has XX and the female has XY. Sex-linked colors are believed to be carried on the X chromosome, since a hen only has 1 X chromosome she can only carry I color gene on that, so she will get the Purple gene from her father and have no other X chromosome on which to carry a sex-linked color. Opal is not sex-linked so it is carried at a different location and not affected by her only having that 1 X chromosome.
Thank you, now i understand it, now i can understand how my cameo opal hens produced, of course if this is what they really are.

Okay, then if i mate them with cameo male will some of their chicks be split to opal?

Yes if the hens are split to Opal then some of the offspring should also be split to Opal. However I'm not sure if it will be visible or if they will all look Cameo though.
idunno.gif

Yes if the hens are split to Opal then some of the offspring should also be split to Opal. However I'm not sure if it will be visible or if they will all look Cameo though.
idunno.gif
If i remember right AugeredIn said if i mate them them with cameo male all the offspring will be cameo, and if i mate them with an opal male all their chicks will be opal, that's why i asked if they will be split opal.

I am completely lost. Where are the pictures of the birds we are talking about?

A split opal bird, either IB or any other color, would not show an opal influence.

lol, I think it was on another thread, a few weeks (or maybe a couple months) ago
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom