Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Toss Up

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Heck if I Know

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Peahen
smile.png

OK, so how do you guys tell??? I have 5 peafowl that I hatched and don't know how to tell if I have boys or girls??
Post pictures of your peas. Be sure to get each birds back, kinda like this picture above. If they have barring on the back they are male no barring is female like the one above.

I'm thinking peahen...but not certain. It is 6 months old and barely makes a peep.
If only six months old and showing that much blue on the neck I say it's a male. I've been raising for 6 years and have many babies in the past and usually that much color at that age says MALE all the way.

The males will have intense brown and white barring on the wings and body, starts getting blue color feathers on the fore head and chin and and finally on the brerast. On the other hand the spacing between bars keeps on widening and eventually bars disappear leaving a solid brown color on the body in females. Also the face and breast remain white in females. The primary flight feathers look orange-copper color in males and brown in females. The bird in the picture is a definite female.

Last edited:
Definitely a pretty girl!
FYI here's a picture of our boy Twig at 5 months old, in front of his mom.
You can clearly see the distinction between them: his wings have barring and hers do not.

Back
Top Bottom