pecking order ( bringing 2 new chickens in)

beanie12

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
hi every1

please i need a little help i have had 3 chickens for about a year then 2weeks ago a dog got into my garden and bit one of my chickens so i took her to the vet and put down!!

now now 5 days ago i got another 2 chickens , done what i thought your ment to do ( put the new chickens in the coop for a bit then add them to the other chicken) well since doing this they have been non stop fighting !! my 2old chickens are really picking on one of the new ones where today have pecked so much there is blood and loads of feathers missing at the back of her neck .. :(( i only have 1 coop big enough for them and a big run which there in, it has plenty of room.

what shall i do?? ive separated them now just by letting the 2old ones free range in the garden, but will have to put them back soon.

will this carry on?? how long does it last?? do i have to buy another coop ??

please please can someone advise me many thanks

I would try putting a few objects in the coop/run for the new birds to hide behind and stay out of sight out of mind. They have to work out a pecking order and every time you separate them it all starts over when you put them together again.

Another thing you may want to try is putting a wire divider between there where they can see each other but not get at each other for a few days then remove it and see how things go.

There will always be some scrapping when you put new birds in with your established flock but I am a little surprised that yours are going at it to the extreme that you mentioned with so many missing feathers and blood shed. Are you new birds a lot younger than your established flock. Also I don't mean to offend you but I dont know how long you have been keeping chickens..are you sure that you don't have two roosters in the coop together? Sometimes that doesn't matter but others the two roosters will fight until the death.

Back
Top Bottom