PeckStone

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone have experience with the Peckstone? If so, what do you think? I am concerned about if "natural beak conditioning" will hurt the chickens. I don't want to offer to my flock if it will harm their beaks. But, if it makes their beaks less sharp, without causing them pain/harm, it would certainly be beneficial for my hens that are low in the pecking order during weather times of more confinement. I was given one and have read up. They are usually used for large flocks that are more closely confined to reduce pecking injuries. Of course, this is because they are crammed together in factory farming situations, however, at the same time, if this does not hurt chickens; it is better than debeaking the chicken - which is something I would never do.

Caged birds need something to help keep their beaks and toenails in good order. When I had cockatiels I used concrete perches for that purpose.

Chickens who have access to the ground -- with it's natural grit, sand, stones, etc. -- should not *usually* need anything special to help them because their natural scratching and foraging behavior will do the job.

The Peckstones look like they're more oriented towards commercial poultry operations where boredom is an issue. I have various bricks, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. in the run with the chickens, so that helps provide surfaces that birds can whet their beaks and nails on, at little to no cost.

Caged birds need something to help keep their beaks and toenails in good order. When I had cockatiels I used concrete perches for that purpose.

Chickens who have access to the ground -- with it's natural grit, sand, stones, etc. -- should not *usually* need anything special to help them because their natural scratching and foraging behavior will do the job.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom