Peepers is always right under my feet!

jducour

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
I have the best duck in the world. The problem with that- he has no concept of giving you space to walk. He has done this since he was 2 days old, he was always right under your feet. As a result, my three year old stepped on him and snapped his femur when he was 2 weeks old. We took him to the vet, and he healed fabulously - not even a limp. He is now 5 months old, and he still doesn't get it. I have almost stepped on him 3 times this week, my daughter stepped on him, and so did my son. The problem is, he will be across the yard, so I will head to my garden, and without a sound, there he is! I try to always walk watching my feet, and when he tries to walk right under me I shoo him to the side. Does anyone have any insight? I'm afraid he is going to get hurt again, and I wonder, is this a dominance thing, or just an overly friendly duck with no concept of impending doom?

Peepers, the Drake with no space bubble

I have no insight into this since you have at least several other ducks. Some of mine do that occasionally, but it's not the consistent behavior you're describing, which sounds like a very strong preference for humans over other ducks that's gone on for a good while. All I can think other than that is that perhaps he's afraid of something and is gravitating toward familiar humans that he perceives as protection because they're bigger than he is?

I'm responding hoping that @Amiga , who's a Runner guru, or @Miss Lydia , who knows a lot about everything ducks in general, will give you some advice.

My best wishes are with you. I bet that would be really cool for a while and very concerning now.

@jadecomutergal, he seems like a normal, healthy duck otherwise. He is the alpha duck, he has a drake brother he gets along with splendidly, and 4 ducks he mates all day long Lol. I don't want to change the way he is, I just need space to walk.

@jadecomutergal, he seems like a normal, healthy duck otherwise. He is the alpha duck, he has a drake brother he gets along with splendidly, and 4 ducks he mates all day long Lol. I don't want to change the way he is, I just need space to walk.

I understand that, and I said I don't have the answer. I was hoping to get @Amiga and @Miss Lydia to take a look at your post and give you their thoughts. He sounds like a wonderful companion, but you do want to change one thing about his behavior so he doesn't keep getting injured by humans stepping on him. Since pain is typically a pretty good motivator that hasn't worked with him so far, and the rest of what I see looks fine, I don't have any ideas about how to get him to stop camping out under humans.

Last edited:
@jducour my Runners can literally get under my feet - I think that they just feel so secure near me they have no concept about how difficult it can be to walk without stepping on ducky toes when they put them right under one's feet!

Twice I have lightly stepped on a ducky foot - no harm done (thank the Lord).

My solution is - walk carefully. When I am gardening or helping the ducks forage for worms, I must pause and check before I make a move, because there may be a duck bill under my upraised heel, or a duck right behind me or under my behind. I consider it high praise for the ducks to be up close.

And when I have younger humans around the ducks, I train them to watch where they are putting their feet and hands - yes, even quite young people seem to understand.

Thanks @Amiga , I guess I will just be grateful I have such friendly ducks. I will try to train my kids to be careful as well, my Mom has dementia, and I'm her caretaker, and she stepped on him pretty good tonight. She just doesn't think to watch where she walks, and every day is a new day for her, so she is harder to teach than my 3 year old :). I will try to work with him so I don't have to worry about him getting hurt. He does it more with me than anyone else, and I've been trying to train him with a clicker and mealworms to walk to my side like his brother does. Every day is an adventure, isn't it?!

The ducks just want to flock around with you. You need to get one or two more ducks so they can follow each other. Easy peasy

Back
Top Bottom