Pekin drake hurting all the other ducks

Corinne23

Songster
Aug 5, 2021
My Pekin drake is being extremely fiesty the last 2-3 weeks with everyone but me. He attacked my poor khaki drake and ripped out all his backside feathers and a chunk of skin. He destroyed 2 of my pekin hens necks to the point of them bleeding. I don’t know what to do. I have the 2 hens and my khaki drake in the coop boarded off and my pekin drake and my other pekin hen in the outside area which is completely predictor proof. I had to bandage one of my girls necks just before because he got her when I was putting the to bed. He goes after my son and fights my husband almost daily I’m the only one he’ll submit to. I’m at a loss I’m afraid he’s going yo kill my other ducks.

He needs separated while spring hormones are running high.
There are many ways to separate them while keeping everyone including him safe.
How big is the run?
Can you section some of it off for him to be kept in?

If you are worried about predators at night a simple a frame duck house he can be closed in will give him safety from predators and bad weather.

My Pekin drake is being extremely fiesty the last 2-3 weeks with everyone but me. He attacked my poor khaki drake and ripped out all his backside feathers and a chunk of skin. He destroyed 2 of my pekin hens necks to the point of them bleeding. I don’t know what to do. I have the 2 hens and my khaki drake in the coop boarded off and my pekin drake and my other pekin hen in the outside area which is completely predictor proof. I had to bandage one of my girls necks just before because he got her when I was putting the to bed. He goes after my son and fights my husband almost daily I’m the only one he’ll submit to. I’m at a loss I’m afraid he’s going yo kill my other ducks.
How many hens and drakes do you have in total?
From what you said, it sounds like you have 2 drakes and 3 hens, which is very out of ratio.
His hormones are going crazy, that's why he's started acting up. I would separate him from the flock (drake jail) for a while. Then you could try reintroducing him, ensure they have multiple feed and water stations, and a good amount of room.
But ultimately if out of ratio, if he's this aggressive, he may be a danger for them.
Can you get more hens, perhaps have a bachelor flock away from your current flock? Or consider rehoming him to someone who does?

He needs separated while spring hormones are running high.
There are many ways to separate them while keeping everyone including him safe.
How big is the run?
Can you section some of it off for him to be kept in?

If you are worried about predators at night a simple a frame duck house he can be closed in will give him safety from predators and bad weather.
I attached a picture of my run. It’s a decent size we’re hoping to expand it and make it higher this summer. Right now I have the coop blocked off so I’ll just keep him in the coop and the others outside for now. We let them free roam during the day and they seem ok it’s once we put them away at night.

Attachments

• 936596E7-0DBC-4154-8E59-39726850869C.jpeg
    936596E7-0DBC-4154-8E59-39726850869C.jpeg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 20
How many hens and drakes do you have in total?
From what you said, it sounds like you have 2 drakes and 3 hens, which is very out of ratio.
His hormones are going crazy, that's why he's started acting up. I would separate him from the flock (drake jail) for a while. Then you could try reintroducing him, ensure they have multiple feed and water stations, and a good amount of room.
But ultimately if out of ratio, if he's this aggressive, he may be a danger for them.
Can you get more hens, perhaps have a bachelor flock away from your current flock? Or consider rehoming him to someone who does?
My husband works at a park that is willing to take him but we’re trying to avoid rehoming him. I’m currently hatching some khaki eggs I’m hoping to get a few hens from the hatch if not I already planned on ordering some khaki hens to put me in ratio. I closed off the coop so he stayed in there last night until we can figure out something better maybe

I attached a picture of my run. It’s a decent size we’re hoping to expand it and make it higher this summer. Right now I have the coop blocked off so I’ll just keep him in the coop and the others outside for now. We let them free roam during the day and they seem ok it’s once we put them away at night.

Can you put your run expansion on the opposite side basically having 2 runs available?
It would give you more separation options while still providing everything they all need.

They do need a deeper water dish. They need to be able to dunk their heads to clear their nares. Just an observation and you very well may have that just not in the photo.

My husband has a friend that feeds his family with my drakes that I cannot rehome. This is just me so please don't judge. If I ever had any animal that would attack a family member that I love, it would go to feed my husband's friends family. I have zero tolerance for an animal attacking humans. This is just me and others may not agree and that is fine. We all think differently. It sounds like a problem duck even if it is hormonal and I would not want to give my problem to someone else is why I would chose not to rehome. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom