Pekin Duck Club!

b

Had to share this with you guys since most of you Have watch my girls grow up!
Lady or Lucy not sure which - laid the first Goose egg today in like the coldest weather everrrrr here in ohio hahaha Mama is super excited !! My pekins are still Layin every day but one egg froze today
1f623.png
!!! Yikes!
Beautiful eggs from your beautiful girls! Congratulations to all!

Hi, my little Gabby Duck does the same. It seems she wants lots of petting when she does this. She doesn't get up so quickly-- as a matter of fact, I'm usually ready to stop petting before she decides she has had enough. I know you hand raised your ducks, and I have had Gabby since she was about 8 weeks, so maybe the incidental/accidental/kind of on purpose imprinting has done this. I don't have a male duck, and Gabby has been laying an egg a day since August, so her hormones must be in good working order--she would probably like someone other than Francis, the goose! ...

Hahaha well glad for the responses from you and a few others to know I'm not the only one who's having/ has had this experience!! I guess I'm just Big Bird around here :>

Had to share this with you guys since most of you Have watch my girls grow up!
Lady or Lucy not sure which - laid the first Goose egg today in like the coldest weather everrrrr here in ohio hahaha Mama is super excited !! My pekins are still Layin every day but one egg froze today
1f623.png
!!! Yikes!
Wow, big! I guess you're going to eat it? Haven't heard of anyone incubating goose eggs yet. My Jumbo Pekins just matured and I don't know if my girl will start laying in this cold weather. Probably Spring I guess

Here is a video of my Jumbos with their collie dog. They run around the yard with him and follow him everywhere! They spend all day trying to keep up with him, waddling around from one end of the yard to the other. Dog and ducks; best of friends! In this vid you can hear my little Abbie-Beak squeaking and squealing in her little duckie sounds the entire time. This video makes me so happy :>

0.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Pekin Duck Lover Friends,
I have 6 ducks and 3 geese that are 6 months old. The 2 males are beginning to fight and the geese gets in there and bites them too. One had a bloody wing and we had to separate them. I didnt expect this inharmony. Will they be harming their ducklings in the Spring too?:(

Hahaha well glad for the responses from you and a few others to know I'm not the only one who's having/ has had this experience!! I guess I'm just Big Bird around here :>
Wow, big! I guess you're going to eat it? Haven't heard of anyone incubating goose eggs yet. My Jumbo Pekins just matured and I don't know if my girl will start laying in this cold weather. Probably Spring I guess
i gave it to my father in law to eat . i have 2 female geese so theres no goslings in my future :)

Hello Fellow Pekin Duck Lover Friends,
I have 6 ducks and 3 geese that are 6 months old. The 2 males are beginning to fight and the geese gets in there and bites them too. One had a bloody wing and we had to separate them. I didnt expect this inharmony. Will they be harming their ducklings in the Spring too?
sad.png
It's best to keep mama and ducklings separated but in view of the rest of the flock for a least 3 weeks, gives ducklings a chance to get their legs and to learn to keep away from grumpy flock members. I usually use the plastic poultry fencing from Lowes and those fiber glass push in fence poles. keeping them were everyone can see them helps to all to integrate a lot smoother when the time comes. Fighting is normal behavior between drakes and even the ducks can get into spats. my geese always feel like they have to be involved in everything even breaking up mating between the ducks. Geese mating season begins usually from Jan on into spring so beware if you have a gander he is going to be very protective of his mate.

Back
Top Bottom