Pekin Duck Club!

I found a tiny egg looking mass this morning in the coop. it had a soft torn shell and a yolk in a sack nearby. we have 1 male and 1 female pekin. Both are 21 weeks old. Is this normal for a first egg? They are in with my chickens. They have free choice calcium. Any clues? Thanks

Odd eggs were fairly common at start up here with the runners. Sometimes eggs would pop out early while they played hop on top.

Please watch out for your female - generally, at least three females per male is recommended. She could get hurt or worse if he is rough.

I raised two pekins early this year. But unfortunately one got a damage leg, so i took her to the vet and they said that the x-ray she needed costed $160 alone, not even mentioning the medication and possibly surgeries. I told them that I had 15 other ducks at home and that I can't afford to spend that much money on one duck and asked if i could put her down, so she wouldn't be in any pain, and this was a no kill vet clinic, as in the animal had to be in complete dying pain in order to be put down and told be to come back when the duck was on her last limb, which they expected to be a few months. I thought that was absurd. The duck was very health even though the broken leg and she also lost some weight probably because she didn't like the weight on her leg. But the point is that I didn't want to watch the poor thing that I raised since it was 3 days old to be slowly suffering. I told them that and I got upset, so the vet went to talk to the manager and people from the clinic came and were all giddy that there was a duck in the vets office. The vet came back and told me that I could surrender the duck and they can find a home, which while talking to the manager, multiple volunteers popped, so the vet assured me that it would be hard that to find a home, and she also commented how patient and well mannered my pekin was. so all in all, it was very bittersweet, I still wish I had the other pekin, but I am so glad she is in a home getting treatment that she needs. the other pekin is doing just fine, I named her Ravioli (pekin ravioli
tongue.png
) and she is doing excellent as well as my other duck, I hope she will have babies next spring, and have some pekin/swedish cross babies

So I live in a suburban neighborhood but have a huge pond/man made lake in my backyard. I've had my ducks there about 1 year, lock them up every night in their coop. They have a kiddie pool too.not my neighbors but these older people who live around the lake go on Facebook who have nothing to do ; say how they attacke them and the coop is illegal. They are all part of HOA but don't make the rules. They just come up with the idea of rules and send them out for someone else to finalize on them. but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I should do to try to keep them ??? like state rules for Florida or like petition in the neighborhood? They both are super people friendly so for a lady to say my 2 ducks attacked her n her dog is a lie because one of them is so scared of dogs because she's been attacked by one. I have my nieces and nephews under <9 years old come over and they play with them all the time. I really dot want to take them to a farm. Any ideas of what I could do to fight to keep them??

Just some ideas - locate friendly neighbors, get their support.

You could consider a petition - you could provide information to the HOA about them (many decisions are made on misinformation and fears about things that are not even true).

Some folks go to web sites where you can start petition drives.

So we have decided after much reading on here we have a male and female. Patty who turned out to be a Pat and Cake. My question is are we still able to eat the eggs without anything that will further traumatize me into not eating eggs. Just starting to get over that since I know all my chickens are girls?

Yes there are many wild ducks around my lake and other birds including cranes, swans, pelicans, and etc. The few as in maybe 5 people I actually know of who are truely against them said that these ducks run a risk for disease, but so do the other birds. A long with claiming my property has attracted other houses of rat infestations because we feed the ducks outside. which isn't true. I guess there has been rat infestations in the neighborhood and people have set traps to poison them and the neighbors were claiming we did and it poisoned a raccoon so they don't want small children to be near our house because are ducks have diseases. I'm just trying to figure out how to handle a situation to prove that these ducks really won't and can't harm anybody.

Hello,
I have one female pekin. I lost my drake before winter to an eagle. I've had people offer me another female & drake. Is it ok to have the 2 females with the one drake?
do that because females.wont be.mean relly males will so.go with that have ing one.male and.to.female.it.will be.better

Back
Top Bottom