Pekin Duck Club!

Yes there are many wild ducks around my lake and other birds including cranes, swans, pelicans, and etc. The few as in maybe 5 people I actually know of who are truely against them said that these ducks run a risk for disease, but so do the other birds. A long with claiming my property has attracted other houses of rat infestations because we feed the ducks outside. which isn't true. I guess there has been rat infestations in the neighborhood and people have set traps to poison them and the neighbors were claiming we did and it poisoned a raccoon so they don't want small children to be near our house because are ducks have diseases. I'm just trying to figure out how to handle a situation to prove that these ducks really won't and can't harm anybody.
It may be that the ducks are not the actual problem. You might ask about to neighbors who are not complaining and subtly ask if the 5 people who don't like your ducks have other issues with you being there. It just sounds like there's something else going on here.

Okay so I have two pekin male ducks. They grew up together. They are about 5 months old. One was always bigger by alittle bit. They are ways together. We'll all of a sudden the semi larger one has been pinning the other one down by his neck and being really mean to him. Why would this be?

I live near downtown St. Petersburg, Florida and had codes come to me the other month about a "complaint' we had ducks/chickens and were selling eggs. This shocked me as my neighbors come from all over to walk their dogs and kids to see our ducks. The codes guy was a doll. He said get a petition stating that your neighbors are okay with your ducks/chickens and have no complaints. I walked around a few block radius of my house and got 31 signatures in no time. I never did find out who complained but either they signed the petition or they are not on my block. Living on a lot it takes a lot of effort to keep everything nice in lieu of the ducks. I have a 125 gal pond out front that needs to be maintained regularly. As for the ducks chasing the dog, my male chases and picks on my pit bull all the time. I probably scold him 1o times a day for chasing the dog. He grabs her mouth and just pulls on the flabby tissue. My pitt is such a good girl, she tries to swing her butt around to keep him off of her. Sometimes she does hold him down and gently chew on him. I know that is a delicate situation that the duck wont win but I cant get him to behave. I pick him up and love on him and tell him to leave the dog alone but he doesn't quit. He thinks he is defending my two females. Also, per codes as far as he knew it was not illegal to sell eggs as we don't have a huge business here we sell eggs to pay for the kibble. Hope this might help.

Major size difference in my new pekins. 5 days difference in age. The small one is half Crested, and has a small spot on the back of his/her head. I'm wondering if the larger is possibly a Jumbo pekin?

Anyone have any ideas why such a difference? I'm just curious. Both appear happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom