Pekin Duck Club!

Can you overfeed a duckling? My Willie and Si are about a month old. Willie the biggest one has started to get a bigger area in his chest/keel area. They are on DuMor starter/grower feed. It has 20 % protein. They go outside everyday for an hour or two to forage. Occasionally shredded carrots as a treat. Advice please. First time duck mom and I want them healthy and don't want to do anything wrong.

Can you overfeed a duckling? My Willie and Si are about a month old. Willie the biggest one has started to get a bigger area in his chest/keel area. They are on DuMor starter/grower feed. It has 20 % protein. They go outside everyday for an hour or two to forage. Occasionally shredded carrots as a treat. Advice please. First time duck mom and I want them healthy and don't want to do anything wrong.

Do you have pictures that you could post? I'd suggest gradually decreasing the amount of protein. I was able to find 18% and now we're down to 16%. I don't believe we'll need to go any lower. They do grow remarkably fast.

yes ducks can get over weight and it isn't good for their lil legs. post a pic so we can tell if he is just growing or maybe time to cut back feed a bit. although at the rate they are growing they need alot of nourishment. Maybe Willies is a Jumbop Pekin too. do you know?

Is it big all the time? Or just after eating? It could just be a full crop. I have a jumbo pekin, which are VERY easy to overfeed, and have to be kept on a strict diet, but I don't think normal Perkins have that issue.

I just noticed it when I let them outside. I will try and get a picture they are laying down now. I'm not sure if he is a jumbo. The lady I bought them from didn't specify. Do you have food brand recommendations? What ideal protein level should I have them at for being a month old. My book says 16% but the feed says keep them on that,until 11 weeks I believe.

LOL...you're cracking me up @Julie Bird
 !

I wish I could give my babies blankets & such.  All they do is poo all over them so within a week all the hosing off in the world doesn't save them from the garbage.
Haha. Thanks Debs. You are funny too talking about yours pooing all over the blankets. Made me laugh.

Haha. Thanks Debs. You are funny too talking about yours pooing all over the blankets. Made me laugh.
highfive.gif
we're funny!

@ JulieBird I didn't want all the boys to fight over the girls. Question when the Pekin and the Khaki Cambells mate how will the ducklings look
Smart move on your part for sure.

As to genetics I don't know how that combo will look. Amiga or Miss Lydia may know. Or even Lacrystol who primarily breeds calls may know.

I just noticed it when I let them outside. I will try and get a picture they are laying down now. I'm not sure if he is a jumbo. The lady I bought them from didn't specify. Do you have food brand recommendations? What ideal protein level should I have them at for being a month old. My book says 16% but the feed says keep them on that,until 11 weeks I believe.
Mine are on flock raiser just so that I can feed the same thing to everyone. It's 18-20% protein, but because their feed is moderated, it didn't make a difference in their growth pattern, and no angel wings either!

Mine are on flock raiser just so that I can feed the same thing to everyone. It's 18-20% protein, but because their feed is moderated, it didn't make a difference in their growth pattern, and no angel wings either!
Flock raiser I think is a great feed and I like the idea of not having to switch I start my ducklings out on it and they eat it till they go on I have a Muscovy drake who was 11 yrs this past march. . They get alot of foraging also and having to walk up and down a hill since we live on the side of a mountain. Exercise is very important.
Smart move on your part for sure.

As to genetics I don't know how that combo will look. Amiga or Miss Lydia may know. Or even Lacrystol who primarily breeds calls may know.
Khaki and Pekins will mate. and some of the cutest ducklings I have seen are Pekins mixed with another breed.

Back
Top Bottom