Pekin Duck Club!

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could and you did the right thing. I don't want to come off as rude or insensitive but since you don't know what lead to this can you send her off for necropsy? That way you will know what happened for sure and can take action if it could effect JoJo. I'm so very sorry.

I was thinking about it bc I want to know what was wrong but we already buried her.

I talked to JoJo and told him. I'm going to order him a duck diaper in the next few weeks and he will be a house duck, my dh isn't so sure about that idea but he is really trying to work with me. Anyhow, I was explaining to JoJo that getting him a new mate right now isn't a good idea for either of us. After my new baby is born and we move then we will move forward and find him somebody. Now I'm trying to be with him as much as possible but this week is very busy and he will be alone ALOT which I hate but I don't have a choice. My dh thinks I should get him an actual mirror and a stuffed animal as big as him. Should I? Or what do I do. He has been with charlie since birth, this is hard for him, it has to be. Last night, he slept in the play pen. My twenty month old daughter gave him a binky and a few rubber duckies, it was sweet. She cried over Charlie, I believe Charlie was imprinted to her. OK, that's it. Thanks everyone. What to I do now? Sry solo long!:/

Last edited:
I just read this thread at the request of a BYC friend and let me assure you that you did everything and more to take care of your duck. Ducks are very skilled at masking any problems they have and, like children, can not tell you what is going on so it is never easy when one gets ill. I would not even begin to try to guess what might have been the issue that took your duck because it could be so many many things. You mentioned a basement. Have you checked the basement for mold and/or poisonous insects/spiders that they may have contact with. That is always a concern when they are in a confined environment. Also, if you are pregnant you will want to have someone else check for mold. It is not something you will need to expose yourself to.

Again, please know that you did everything that you possibly could. Many, if not most, would not have done as much. Give yourself the time and permission to grieve and don't shut out the possibility of another duck. It would be a companion to JoJo and not a replacement. It will have its own personality and give you a new level of pleasure. Bless you.

@duckies1230 -
hugs.gif
Sure, get JoJo an unbreakable mirror and a stuffed animal. You just do what you can. Take day by day. I truly am sorry for your loss! Thanks for keeping us posted on how all of you are doing.

I talked to JoJo and told him. I'm going to order him a duck diaper in the next few weeks and he will be a house duck, my dh isn't so sure about that idea but he is really trying to work with me. Anyhow, I was explaining to JoJo that getting him a new mate right now isn't a good idea for either of us. After my new baby is born and we move then we will move forward and find him somebody. Now I'm trying to be with him as much as possible but this week is very busy and he will be alone ALOT which I hate but I don't have a choice. My dh thinks I should get him an actual mirror and a stuffed animal as big as him. Should I? Or what do I do. He has been with charlie since birth, this is hard for him, it has to be. Last night, he slept in the play pen. My twenty month old daughter gave him a binky and a few rubber duckies, it was sweet. She cried over Charlie, I believe Charlie was imprinted to her. OK, that's it. Thanks everyone. What to I do now? Sry solo long!:/
those sound like good ideas to me but I am not a duck owner. U r so sweet trying to ease Jojo's loss. I know a mirror works for Que Sera, pattyhen's duck. Just take in the wisdom so many have here and it will come together. Glad your hubby is supporting you.

How awful for you, Charlie, and Jojo:-( I am so sorry for your loss, bit it sounds like you ended her suffering<3

@duckies1230 you are an amazing Moma !! We are crying with you!!! I hope that you will get a few more girl's for your dude.. He will happy if you do.. Can't wait to see what breed you get.. Dont forget that a drake can over mate a single hen.. So more than one hen, for her sake. Yes, mirror & stuffed animal.. Sometimes you just never know.. Bless your heart & condolences from us..

@duckies1230 you are an amazing Moma !! We are crying with you!!! I hope that you will get a few more girl's for your dude.. He will happy if you do.. Can't wait to see what breed you get.. Dont forget that a drake can over mate a single hen.. So more than one hen, for her sake. Yes, mirror & stuffed animal.. Sometimes you just never know.. Bless your heart & condolences from us..
duckies 1230 I have to agree with City farm getting Jo Jo a couple of good companions might be the best for him and you in the long run. he is going to be very lonely, of course a mirror and stuffed animal may help. You did more than alot of us could have done and you had to make the choice in the end if you wanted to keep her going the way she was. That would be a very hard decision but you did it and followed through for her. I will say before you consider getting any more ducks just to be safe I'd go for a large outdoor dog kennel to keep them in since I wonder if she may have gotten into poison of some kind. Do you think anyone would have put out anything to do them harm? just some things to think
about. I am so sorry this has happened I know you loved Charlie and love Jo Jo I wish you the best in your decision you make now and in the future. Take care of your self.
hugs.gif

Thank you everyone for all your sympathy and advice. Jojo will be a permanent house duck until we move then I will get him a few girlfriends. So a special thanks to someone in particular, you know who you are, I am truly grateful with all my heart and I'm sure JoJo will be too. I'm dreading tomorrow. Poor jojo will be by himself for a good 12 hours or so please pray for the little guy, he will have all he needs and then some. And I got him a stuffed animal, and a mirror. I hope he will be OK. Thanks again! Goodnite. Miss my princess charlie xoxoxo :fl. :hit. :love

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your sympathy and advice. Jojo will be a permanent house duck until we move then I will get him a few girlfriends. So a special thanks to someone in particular, you know who you are, I am truly grateful with all my heart and I'm sure JoJo will be too. I'm dreading tomorrow. Poor jojo will be by himself for a good 12 hours or so please pray for the little guy, he will have all he needs and then some. And I got him a stuffed animal, and a mirror. I hope he will be OK. Thanks again! Goodnite. Miss my princess charlie xoxoxo
fl.gif
hit.gif
love.gif

Sending all of you happy thoughts and prayers! I forgot you'll be moving, too. Sheesh, lady, you have a lot going on.
wink.png
Please keep us posted. When is new baby due?

I have 4 Pekins. I purchased them at a local feed store. They were suppose to be pullets, but apparently ducks are hard to sex. They are 4 months old and live with my EE chickens here outside of Wiggins.

Back
Top Bottom