Pekin Duck Club!

Omg so I went to tsc before I got your answers and the duck " expert" told me ducks aren't supposed to have oyster shell or grit, its just for chickens. I wish the manager was there, his info is actually correct and useful. But she is eating greens now, kale on a regular basis. But I got baby kale and baby spinach mixed to feed her. I know not to give her spinach frequently but I've also read plenty of sites that said if you mix it with acv it will counteract the acidity. She didn't lay an egg yesterday and her egg today had a thin thin thin barely there shell. I'm not worrying bc she laid two, two days in a row. Yet I've noticed, if the eggs aren't good, she doesn't lay them in her nest. She could care less where it pops out. She knows its useless. Smart lil duckie !!!

Quote: X2, zero spinach! Used to think I was doing them a favor by feeding it to them... Imagine my surprise when I found out I could be harming them! Many thanks to BYC's ronott1 for pointing that out to me.
bow.gif

-Kathy

X2, zero spinach! Used to think I was doing them a favor by feeding it to them... Imagine my surprise when I found out I could be harming them! Many thanks to BYC's ronott1 for pointing that out to me.
bow.gif

-Kathy

Interesting. I actually mostly stopped eating spinach myself because of the effects on humans. What makes a difference in anything is how bioavailable elements are, not whether they're present. The oxalaytes in spinach block the absorption of calcium from the spinach itself and from other sources if you eat much spinach.

It takes a long time and a lot of research to get a grasp of all this nutritional stuff, same as all the meds you've researched. There are people who think you can use Tums as a calcium supplement because of the way the product is advertised, which I consider deceptive. Tums are not a good source of calcium because their purpose is antacid, and the antacid part pretty much cancels out the calcium that's the additive to the ones advertised as Tums with calcium.

Interesting. I actually mostly stopped eating spinach myself because of the effects on humans. What makes a difference in anything is how bioavailable elements are, not whether they're present. The oxalaytes in spinach block the absorption of calcium from the spinach itself and from other sources if you eat much spinach.

It takes a long time and a lot of research to get a grasp of all this nutritional stuff, same as all the meds you've researched. There are people who think you can use Tums as a calcium supplement because of the way the product is advertised, which I consider deceptive. Tums are not a good source of calcium because their purpose is antacid, and the antacid part pretty much cancels out the calcium that's the additive to the ones advertised as Tums with calcium.
Thank you for posting this. I had no idea spinach did that. I eat it all the time. Now I think I'm going to discontinue it and focus more on the different kales for my greens.

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea spinach did that. I eat it all the time. Now I think I'm going to discontinue it and focus more on the different kales for my greens.

Julie, you really need to see what's best for you, not go on my word for anything. I'm not a doctor, but I'm okay with that because I don't care much for a lot of them. I know a good bit about nutrition and some stuff about alternative treatments, but part of the latter is because I've worked with enough doctors to know it's not advisable to take their word as gospel. Most of my interest in nutrition I have to credit to my long-time best friend at work who's a nutrition fanatic. I love her to death, except that she tells me everything that's wrong with everything I like eating.
wink.png

Julie, you really need to see what's best for you, not go on my word for anything. I'm not a doctor, but I'm okay with that because I don't care much for a lot of them. I know a good bit about nutrition and some stuff about alternative treatments, but part of the latter is because I've worked with enough doctors to know it's not advisable to take their word as gospel. Most of my interest in nutrition I have to credit to my long-time best friend at work who's a nutrition fanatic. I love her to death, except that she tells me everything that's wrong with everything I like eating.
wink.png
I know people like that. They are typically very healthy without an ounce of fat on their body. But, I will have at least a little of what I want and like. Just remember how the scientific community says something is bad for you then a few years says just the opposite. I think moderation is the key. And a good sense of reality. Afterall, they say something in red wine is good for your heart but they don't tell you that you would have to drink about 10 gallons a day to get enough of it. And going the natural way...I have a potassium deficiency so I take two pills a day that, to get them naturally, I would have to eat 50 pounds of bananas a day.

I know people like that. They are typically very healthy without an ounce of fat on their body. But, I will have at least a little of what I want and like. Just remember how the scientific community says something is bad for you then a few years says just the opposite. I think moderation is the key. And a good sense of reality. Afterall, they say something in red wine is good for your heart but they don't tell you that you would have to drink about 10 gallons a day to get enough of it. And going the natural way...I have a potassium deficiency so I take two pills a day that, to get them naturally, I would have to eat 50 pounds of bananas a day.

@jtn42248 I doubt even monkeys eat that many pounds of bananas.

Julie, you really need to see what's best for you, not go on my word for anything. I'm not a doctor, but I'm okay with that because I don't care much for a lot of them. I know a good bit about nutrition and some stuff about alternative treatments, but part of the latter is because I've worked with enough doctors to know it's not advisable to take their word as gospel. Most of my interest in nutrition I have to credit to my long-time best friend at work who's a nutrition fanatic. I love her to death, except that she tells me everything that's wrong with everything I like eating. ;)
That is true, Gina. I admit I reacted quickly when I read the thing about spinach because I eat it more often than the other greens and like it. But I am concerned about calcium absorption and don't wanna compromise it. I do take D and calcium supplements daily, engage in daily strength training, do weight bearing exercises, etc so I shouldn't be worried. But as it is, I do need to diversify my greens more.

Too funny about your friend.

Back
Top Bottom