Pekin Duck Club!

Poncha & Lefty are officially parents.

love.gif
Congrats!!

Hello fellow duck lovers. I have a problem. I introduced a new female duck in with my 8 ducks. I have noticed they are not very friendly to her and are pecking at the back of her neck. There is now an open wound with missing feathers. Any suggestions what I can put on it as well as what I should do about the situation!I have 7 drakes and 2 females now

Hello fellow duck lovers. I have a problem. I introduced a new female duck in with my 8 ducks. I have noticed they are not very friendly to her and are pecking at the back of her neck. There is now an open wound with missing feathers. Any suggestions what I can put on it as well as what I should do about the situation!I have 7 drakes and 2 females now
The drakes go in one pen, the ducks in another.

A good duck vet is best to treat her wounds. We must protect all our ducks and not leave it up to them to work out.

If you don't think you can separate them, then either the girls or the boys need a new home.

Longer term, if you have room, a much larger bunch of females, you would need at least three females per drake, and with that many drakes, you may still have problems.

Please keep those females away from the males, and also make sure there are no males being similarly abused.

Let her swim in a tub of lukewarm water, and spray Vetericyn or saline solution on the wound. Keep her where there are no flies - they lay eggs in open wounds.

Peas! Mine LOVE green peas. I get the frozen ones and thaw them.

I have 3 ducks, one mallard and 2 pekin. All hens. They KNOW when it is time for their pool change (clean water) and PEAS!!!

Looks like a fun club!
Mandy

Please don't leave her there or your other one in with the drakes they could kill her. /them.
A vet is always a good choice but if you can't then using the treatment Amiga recommended is a good option. Just please keep your girls safe.

Welcome to BYC

I looked through your past posts. You have known for over 4 weeks now that you have 7 males and one female. Did you add/lose a duck? You were warned that this was a very dangerous combination for a flock, yet you did nothing. Do you really want advice? We want to help, but only if you are actually going to do what is suggested.

I want to believe that you care about your ducks, it seems you do. You MUST separate your male/female ducks or they will kill them. They are still young, trust me - if you think it's bad now, don't wait to see how bad it gets as they get a little older. You need to -

1. Find a home for all of your drakes, or at least all but 1.
2. Find a home for your female ducks, and keep all of the males
3. Keep all of the ducks, but keep them in 2 separate flocks, males in one, females in the other.
4. Ignore the advice, as you have been for 4 weeks. It will be very sad for the females.

Duck gender ratios should never be less than one male for every 4 females MINIMUM. Anything other than that risk the death of the female. To have so many males and so few females is cruel to both of your females. You MUST either add females (20 or more) or get rid of males (6 males rehomed or culled). Even then you would need to add one or two more females. To do otherwise is just plain wrong.

I looked through your past posts.  You have known for over 4 weeks now that you have 7 males and one female.  Did you add/lose a duck?  You were warned that this was a very dangerous combination for a flock, yet you did nothing.  Do you really want advice?  We want to help, but only if you are actually going to do what is suggested. 

I want to believe that you care about your ducks, it seems you do.  You MUST separate your male/female ducks or they will kill them.  They are still young, trust me - if you think it's bad now, don't wait to see how bad it gets as they get a little older.  You need to -

1. Find a home for all of your drakes, or at least all but 1. 
2. Find a home for your female ducks, and keep all of the males
3.  Keep all of the ducks, but keep them in 2 separate flocks, males in one, females in the other. 
4.  Ignore the advice, as you have been for 4 weeks.  It will be very sad for the females. 

I came to this site 4 weeks ago with a problem with my female mallard and I DID seperate her. I got a new 4 month old female pekin that I wanted to introduce her to the other male pekin that I have. Within a day the males ganged up on her and now I put her in with the other female I really don't appreciate the attitude you have taken with me. I am trying my hardest to figure this all out but I am not ignorant. This just goes to show that when someone innocently attitudes a few questions there are going to be people who are disrespectful. I will join a new forum and maybe someone there will be caring and understanding. Thanks for nothing!!!!

I came to this site 4 weeks ago with a problem with my female mallard and I DID seperate her. I got a new 4 month old female pekin that I wanted to introduce her to the other male pekin that I have. Within a day the males ganged up on her and now I put her in with the other female I really don't appreciate the attitude you have taken with me. I am trying my hardest to figure this all out but I am not ignorant. This just goes to show that when someone innocently attitudes a few questions there are going to be people who are disrespectful. I will join a new forum and maybe someone there will be caring and understanding. Thanks for nothing!!!!

I promise you the people who've commented on your post, at least the one I saw in this thread, aren't mean people. It just scares the life out of us when we hear things like like this because the outcome is so predictable. You're lucky you caught this as quickly as you did before she was more seriously injured. I would wash it with some Vetericyn Wound Wash then apply some Neosporin (or generic) without pain reliever to it. I would do this a couple of times per day until the wound heals, and of course also keep her away from the drakes.

Back
Top Bottom