Pekin Duck Club!

@MandyJ Ideal Poultry sent me THIS as a Buff
1f615.png
they also sent my ducks in 2 seperate orders, I'm expecting the second order tomorrow. But, they gave me a beautiful brown buff, and a very nice looking magpie, an d they were very sweet about their mistakes. So I mean, idk, you could very well have a buff
I didn't call and complain since I wasn't willing to give up any of my girls. So it really is MY fault. But I wasn't pleased that we ended up with the crested since I had specifically told them when I ordered NO CRESTED. Oh well, they are only pets! LOL

As you can see now she is almost white (the ducklings, aka the mob, are at the bottom).

Here she is about 5 weeks old. The adult is on the grass she is in the water. You can see the cream color in this picture.

I can't keep up with what I say on which threads, so I will tell you guys now. My brother-in-law died last Sunday (Flu) and someone took the ducklings while I was away. One did pass away the first night, but we aren't sure why. I must be honest, I have not taken the time to figure out which one. I keep meaning to, but just haven't.
The five remaining ducklings are outside in the coop without any heat. I must say I am amazed that at three weeks old, they have been fine. I check on them until about midnight, and I am awake by about six. They are always sleeping when I check on them. The other chickens in the coop, or maybe the other two ducks, are always managing to get the ducklings out of the brooding area. The duckling spend their day lounging around just outside of the run. Since everyone else is free ranging, the run door is open. I look out for the ducklings several times a day, but the rest of the flock watches over them as well. I have a video of one of the ducklings attacking Jojo. While Lily and JoJo were eating meal worms out of their water bowl, the ducklings came over to investigate. One of the ducklings was being rude apparently, because Jojo corrected it. It didn't like being corrected, so it bopped JoJo back in the bill. A few minutes later, I saw Jojo correct that duckling again for something else. The duckling took off after JoJo, getting him in the side. Seeing a big huge drake, and a tiny little duckling run after it, is hysterical. These ducklings are fearless. They were actually scaring the heck out of the entire flock a few days ago.

Very sorry for your loss.

As you can see now she is almost white (the ducklings, aka the mob, are at the bottom). Here she is about 5 weeks old. The adult is on the grass she is in the water. You can see the cream color in this picture.
Oh yes! She's probably just that one duck that grows slower than the rest. I didn't give up any of my ducks from Ideal, even though today, my runners came and the black runner was supposed to be non crested, came crested with a huge yellow tummy. Oh well, she'll look just like a little penguin when she grows up!!! Her name is Lottie, and I also ordered a fawn and white runner, and she's mostly white with brown stripes stripes so... Idk, I'm not ordering from Ideal again, but it doesn't matter to me either they are just pets for me as well!

Oh yes! She's probably just that one duck that grows slower than the rest. I didn't give up any of my ducks from Ideal, even though today, my runners came and the black runner was supposed to be non crested, came crested with a huge yellow tummy. Oh well, she'll look just like a little penguin when she grows up!!! Her name is Lottie, and I also ordered a fawn and white runner, and she's mostly white with brown stripes stripes so... Idk, I'm not ordering from Ideal again, but it doesn't matter to me either they are just pets for me as well!
I'm not sure I will get ducklings again. They are WAY more work than I imagined. Glad they are outside now! But love them to death!! Their antics are a hoot. I'll be glad when the two flocks merge (hopefully one day). Unfortunately, the black ones are so much harder to see than the Pekin. I loose them all the time! LOL

our babies are getting so big we love these little so much and have had so much fun so far for it being our first time raising duck my 6 year old is having a blast with it

I'm not sure I will get ducklings again. They are WAY more work than I imagined. Glad they are outside now! But love them to death!! Their antics are a hoot. I'll be glad when the two flocks merge (hopefully one day). Unfortunately, the black ones are so much harder to see than the Pekin. I loose them all the time! LOL

Oh yea, ducks are high maintenance! Always getting into trouble it seems... I just have to get new breeds every year I just love them so, I have 18, but 6 tend to wander off so basically 12, and oooooh so cute! All various ages and breeds. What are your little monsters named? Mine are
Freddie (male Rouen)
Gibby (male Rouen)
Farkle (male Seddish/Pekin cross)
Derpy (male pekin)
DJ Quack (male pekin)
Jalepeño (male pekin)
Sam (female khaki cross)
Carly (female pekin)
MoonMoon (2 weeks, female magpie)
Harmony (2 weeks, female brown buff)
Phoebe (2 days, female fawn&white runner)
Luna (2 days, female black runner w/ white chest)
And then my 6 wandering cayugas
Boss (male)
Noni (female)
Lilly (female)
King (female.... Don't ask...)
Belle (female)
Rosa (female)
I got the Cayuga as adults so I didn't know what they looked like as babies

Oh yea, ducks are high maintenance! Always getting into trouble it seems... I just have to get new breeds every year I just love them so, I have 18, but 6 tend to wander off so basically 12, and oooooh so cute! All various ages and breeds. What are your little monsters named? Mine are
Freddie (male Rouen)
Gibby (male Rouen)
Farkle (male Seddish/Pekin cross)
Derpy (male pekin)
DJ Quack (male pekin)
Jalepeño (male pekin)
Sam (female khaki cross)
Carly (female pekin)
MoonMoon (2 weeks, female magpie)
Harmony (2 weeks, female brown buff)
Phoebe (2 days, female fawn&white runner)
Luna (2 days, female black runner w/ white chest)
And then my 6 wandering cayugas
Boss (male)
Noni (female)
Lilly (female)
King (female.... Don't ask...)
Belle (female)
Rosa (female)
I got the Cayuga as adults so I didn't know what they looked like as babies
We call the 5 ducklings (2 Cayuga, 2 blue Swedish and 1 Pekin, all hens) "the mob". They approach the adult Pekins (hens as well) in a rush, overwhelming with their number, they remind me of the mob attacking someone! LOL The other 2 adults are Miss Waddle, she has a VERY pronounced waddle and Miss Tuoddle, just cause I thought the name was cute! We haven't named the babies individual names yet. Still trying to figure out their real personalities. So far, all I see is aggression from the Cayuga. They are continually approaching the adults with their head down and beaks open. I figure one day the adults will take them down a notch or two, they deserve it! LOL

The 2 with the crests on top are the Cayuga at 6 weeks. The blue Swedish (which I think are Black Swedish) are the ones with no crest. I have a total of 7, you see one of the adults behind the pool.
Now you know what they look like at babies. They are....black ducks! LOL

Back
Top Bottom