Pekin Duck Club!

I needed some help.I stupidly picked eggs from a nest that mama got off of early. Several birds piped and died in the egg. One didn't absorb yolk and died. One made it But i had to help it out. The last one i had to help out but it is so sticky and now is dried like glue. I cant wash it because i am afraid it will chill and die. It is still in incbator til tomorrow...advice please!

How is it going now? Normally they will clean themselves and each other, but if it's really crusty, I'd try just rubbing it dry first. With your hand or a dry towel. If you feel like it needs washed, use warm water, or you can add a little dawn, rinse the duckling well, and use a warm blow dryer on low. Cuddle it in a towel. Just make sure its good and dry. Put it back in the brooder and it should be fine.
Be careful around the eyes and nares.

X2

That dried glue crud is super hard, best to use a large bowl or the sink... fill with very warm water, 90-95°, then you can submerge just the body in your hand, keep the head up and out of the water... it might take a few minutes of soaking to soften the sticky glue stuff up, that's why I recommend a large bowl/tub/sink so it doesn't cool too fast... towel off gently, blow dry on low and put it right back in the bator until it's fully dry and mobile...

@WVduckchick

@RavynFallen

@Ren2014
How is it going now? Normally they will clean themselves and each other, but if it's really crusty, I'd try just rubbing it dry first. With your hand or a dry towel. If you feel like it needs washed, use warm water, or you can add a little dawn, rinse the duckling well, and use a warm blow dryer on low. Cuddle it in a towel. Just make sure its good and dry. Put it back in the brooder and it should be fine.
Be careful around the eyes and nares.
X2

That dried glue crud is super hard, best to use a large bowl or the sink... fill with very warm water, 90-95°, then you can submerge just the body in your hand, keep the head up and out of the water... it might take a few minutes of soaking to soften the sticky glue stuff up, that's why I recommend a large bowl/tub/sink so it doesn't cool too fast... towel off gently, blow dry on low and put it right back in the bator until it's fully dry and mobile...
x3

I needed some help.I stupidly picked eggs from a nest that mama got off of early. Several birds piped and died in the egg. One didn't absorb yolk and died. One made it But i had to help it out. The last one i had to help out but it is so sticky and now is dried like glue. I cant wash it because i am afraid it will chill and die. It is still in incbator til tomorrow...advice please!

I thought you meant that your duckling was just pipping and still in the shell!! if she is already hatched then disregard my previous reply.

Thanks for all the advice. 2 ducks made it and are a few days old now. They are developing very slowly and have some bald spots and are very shaky. They arent even that beautiful bright yellow. Dull brownish yellow. I am doing everything I can and hope for the best....thank you all

Thanks for all the advice. 2 ducks made it and are a few days old now. They are developing very slowly and have some bald spots and are very shaky. They arent even that beautiful bright yellow. Dull brownish yellow. I am doing everything I can and hope for the best....thank you all
Be sure to supplement with either plain niacin or human grade Brewers yeast [health food store] to help them thrive especially if they are eating chick starter.150mgs of niacin to 1 gal of fresh water or 1 Tab of BY to 1 cup of feed till 10-12 weeks old. Happy to hear they are still with you.
smile.png

Hi all I have two Pekin ducks however one had a sore foot which we made better but it still won't walk properly, it's webbed foot actually flips over backwards and were the duck has been using its wings to try a balance itself I think it's making him weaker but he swims alright and still eats and drinks just not so much walking. Please help? It's on naicin has been for a week now. Some days the duck seems like it's improving and others I'm not so sure but if I can get its foot right I'm hoping the duck will fully recover.

Last edited:
Hi all I have two Pekin ducks however one had a sore foot which we made better but it still won't walk properly, it's webbed foot actually flips over backwards and were the duck has been using its wings to try a balance itself I think it's making him weaker but he swims alright and still eats and drinks just not so much walking. Please help? It's on naicin has been for a week now. Some days the duck seems like it's improving and others I'm not so sure but if I can get its foot right I'm hoping the duck will fully recover.
Did this duck break it's foot? That can cause sores on their wings when they use them to balance have you check it's wings out to make sure they aren't injured?

How about some pics of your ducks foot or a video of it trying to walk.
Sounds like it would be a good idea to take this one to a vet.

Welcome to BYC @les1977

Tony and Carmella. Have been with me about 6 months now. They came to me as adults. The other white one is Snow she is actually a Silver Appleyard. Denver aren't you worried your duck migh

com/content/type/61/id/7596208/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom