Penicillin Overdose, help! ❤️

bhald

Hatching
Jun 5, 2021
I am so embarrassed to post this but am in desperate need of advice - I have overdosed my poor bantam rooster with penicillin and he his hanging on but am unsure of what to do from here.

I have been giving him 3cc for 2 days now and he probably only weighs 3lbs. Yesterday I gave 3cc TWICE and today only once. Should I give him any within the next 24 hours or leave him alone? He is acting about 50% of his normal self but still eating and drinking.

My heart is completely broken and I feel like the worst chicken mom ever!

What are you treating him for? I wouldn’t give him anymore in the next 24 hours or do a half dose. Over-treating can be worse than under-treating. Depending on what you’re treating. But I found this website that might help. I know it has helped me. http://www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart

You also aren’t a bad chicken mom. Definitely not the worst ever. We all make mistakes. It’s part of learning. I actually just found three chicks dead today, two due to pasty butt. I use a brooder plate and it’s so hard to keep track of the sick ones under it. I made a mistake by not checking under that plate every day. I’ve learned my lesson.

What are you treating him for? I wouldn’t give him anymore in the next 24 hours or do a half dose. Over-treating can be worse than under-treating. Depending on what you’re treating. But I found this website that might help. I know it has helped me. http://www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart

You also aren’t a bad chicken mom. Definitely not the worst ever. We all make mistakes. It’s part of learning. I actually just found three chicks dead today, two due to pasty butt. I use a brooder plate and it’s so hard to keep track of the sick ones under it. I made a mistake by not checking under that plate every day. I’ve learned my lesson.
Thank you for the reply! I’ve lost a few chicks that way my self and can relate.

I am treating him for what seems to be a bad bacterial infection on his neck. He has large black scabs that keep getting larger and more of them.. It’s been on going for a few weeks. At first I tried to let it run its course but it kept getting worse.

Attachments

• 651ADCC8-AF7A-4084-A53F-8A4F72A16502.jpeg
    651ADCC8-AF7A-4084-A53F-8A4F72A16502.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 96DD3A28-685C-4BD4-A71C-320E1636C7A2.jpeg
    96DD3A28-685C-4BD4-A71C-320E1636C7A2.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B36621B-8722-4C42-AFE8-8B3CA1E79FE5.jpeg
    4B36621B-8722-4C42-AFE8-8B3CA1E79FE5.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 10

I tried popping thinking it may be puss/blood build up and that’s when it started to peel off. Now I am treating with Neosporin and Pen.

I tried popping thinking it may be puss/blood build up and that’s when it started to peel off. Now I am treating with Neosporin and Pen.

That wound is weeks or months away from being able to peel. If the scab is able to form again and close that wound, coconut oil on the scab would be an alternative if you don't want to keep using neosporin. I treat scabs like that with coconut oil and they do show improvement quickly with the oil. It is naturally antibacterial and forms a barrier to protect it when applied in the AM and again in the PM.

Yea i would taper the dose down like the other post said.

Back
Top Bottom