Penicillin?? / Update

Lob21

Chirping
Sep 28, 2019
Donnatella is doing better but she still isn't 100% OK, my mom had asked me if we would able to give her some Penicillin. I don't know so I'm going to ask here.
Also, my dad brought home a new turkey hen today. A friend of my dad told him that Donnatella might just need a companion to get better and our new hen lays eggs. Donnatella has not layed any eggs since we have had her. Hopefully they treat her good. We now have 3 turkeys.

I was looking for an indication of what the problem could be so I read through your other threads.
First of all, there is no reason to give penicillin. You don't know she has a bacterial infection that penicillin can cure so - don't do it.
Secondly, I didn't see if you ever explained what MG feed was.
Thirdly, if you only fed corn when she was young, you may have ruined her ability to ovulate for life. Corn is about 8% crude protein and devoid of some essential amino acids as well as many of the vitamins and minerals a bird needs.
Ideally, turkeys need at least 28% protein thru 4 weeks, 26% thru 8 weeks, 22% thru 12 weeks, 19% thru 16 weeks and at least 16% after 16 weeks. So even when full grown, they were getting only half the protein they needed. and only a quarter of the protein they needed when young. not only did it stifle growth, a dearth of essential amino acids retards tlhe immune system leaving them vulnerable to all sorts of viral and bacterial pathogens.
Add to that the vitamin and mineral deficiencies they suffered during that time can't be completely reversed by giving a supplement now.
Have you found a suitable feed for turkeys?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Donnatella or her condition, but I wanted to point out that she may just not be ready to lay eggs - mine quit in early September, and likely won't lay again until April or even May. How old is she?

Besides, depending on where you are, you may not even be able to obtain penicillin - especially without a vet certificate. We needed some for cattle earlier this year; vet informed us that there was a shortage and he didn't know when or if it would be back in stock.

Back
Top Bottom