Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm so glad Romeo seems to be feeling a bit better.  I wish I had some advice about his eye.  If he doesn't seem to be eating, I have had good results from syringe feeding Nutridrench until they feel up to eating again.

Totally off topic, but in the back of your pictures, is that a grey hen with a gold head and neck?  Or is it two different hens?  

Thank you. I gave him some water via eye dropper tonight and then sucked dome raw egg yolk up the eye dropper and fed him that. He seemed to enjoy the egg once it was in his beak, but he didn't peck at the dropper at all as if to try and feed himself. I really think he's just having trouble seeing with just the one usable eye. Losing sight in one eye is not so bad when your eyes face foward, I imagine it's much more difficult when your eyes are on the sides.

Yes, that chicken is blue/speckled with a gold head/neck. She is an or ping ton that I got from someone on this group, although he hasn't been on in ages (his name is chicques chicks (not sure on spelling, but def 2 words... there is another user with a similar name, but one word). Anyway, he was breeding these for a black and gold color, but he'd get blues sometimes as a by product. He was toward Lancaster I think. I've made stops there for the chicken train, he actually gifted me several crates for chicken train purposes :)

Rant and request:
Okay at this point I'm starting to get upset. I cannot believe the price of these incubators. this is just ridiculous . does anybody know of a custom incubation egg service in Western Pennsylvania ? I'm thinking that might be the way to go . I can have somebody else Hatch a lot of eggs for me for the price I'll pay for another small incubator . I mean they want 219 to $500 for a little 7 egg Brinsea advance .that's just stupid . At any rate , if anybody can help me out, let me know !
Thanks so much,
Karen in Ligonier , 15658

Hatching your own is so much fun! And it is a way, in the future, of making back some feed money. Used incubators can be a good deal, if they are clean and work. Even new ones are not a bad deal if you consider that you can resell them in the future for most of what you paid.

I have a link to my incubator recommendations in my signature lines below, but basically, I recommend you look at the GQF Genesis for small settings. Mine is several years old and I still trust it more than any other incubator for the most expensive eggs (as a hatcher now).

Newest additions! Withheld food from bedtime last night til this morning and little masked GLW's crop is now emptied. But still has a wet cough/sneeze, phlegmy breathing. Other than that it is very alert and acting normal. I gave it VetRx so hopefully that helps. :fl

Thankfully I'm off this week so I can monitor these little fluffballs (which are hopefully all girls)!

@dheltzel . Only 3 chickies from my broody girls hatch. Hope I didn't waste your eggs. Next time, I will only give an established broody good eggs.

I candled the unhatched eggs just now in a dark closet. Looks like two of the Bieles were quitters earlier on, and at least one of the LAs had too big of an air cell. Not sure what happened with the other two.

At least she has some littles to attend to for now. @msladyhawke . Was kind enough to give me some of those lovely Bantam Langshan eggs. Hopefully I will get a couple hens from that hatching. They were the best broodies.

The bantam Langshan hens are good broodies and have great personalities. They are laying like crazy right now if anyone else wants eggs. I also have a limited amount of large fowl Langshan eggs too. I'll probably have chicks of both available in about 3 weeks, lol if anyone wants to give this cool breed a try.
Anne let me know when you candle how things are developing.
smile.png

Mornin! So quick question. I have been having a hard time figuring out where my little Mallard started hiding eggs the last like 6 days. I waited to let them out for an extra hour hoping she'd do it inside. Instead when I opened the door she ran up and over road kinto field beyond. Im not really sure what to do. I lost her but tomorrow I'll leave dogs in so I can follow. Is she hiding eggs because shes going broody? Should I just take them away when I find them. Id love for her to hatch if she wants but definitely not where shes picked.

Thank you. I gave him some water via eye dropper tonight and then sucked dome raw egg yolk up the eye dropper and fed him that. He seemed to enjoy the egg once it was in his beak, but he didn't peck at the dropper at all as if to try and feed himself. I really think he's just having trouble seeing with just the one usable eye. Losing sight in one eye is not so bad when your eyes face foward, I imagine it's much more difficult when your eyes are on the sides.

Yes, that chicken is blue/speckled with a gold head/neck. She is an or ping ton that I got from someone on this group, although he hasn't been on in ages (his name is chicques chicks (not sure on spelling, but def 2 words... there is another user with a similar name, but one word). Anyway, he was breeding these for a black and gold color, but he'd get blues sometimes as a by product. He was toward Lancaster I think. I've made stops there for the chicken train, he actually gifted me several crates for chicken train purposes :)

I can imagine it would be hard for a chicken losing sight in one eye for the reason you say, but I'm sure he'll adapt if he makes it through the initial trauma. It sounds like you're doing well with him.
fl.gif

Do you happen to have a full body picture of your fun colored Orp hen? She sounds beautiful! I love Orpingtons--such big, fluffy, pretty birds with the nice single comb--and I've never seen anything like that color before, and it sounds amazing. I looked up and found chiques chicks, and have been going back through his old posts looking for pics, but haven't found a clear one yet.

Hello all! Advise needed!
I have 23 chickens , and apart from them I have a lonely 4 month old hen, she was a group of 3, but 2 were roosters, and have been rehomed, so how is the best way to introduce her?? I was thinking of adding another hen or 2 with her, and then introducing them as a group, but if I do that, should I try to introduce a pullet her age, or will any hen work?

Rant and request:
Okay at this point I'm starting to get upset. I cannot believe the price of these incubators. this is just ridiculous . does anybody know of a custom incubation egg service in Western Pennsylvania ? I'm thinking that might be the way to go . I can have somebody else Hatch a lot of eggs for me for the price I'll pay for another small incubator . I mean they want 219 to $500 for a little 7 egg Brinsea advance .that's just stupid . At any rate , if anybody can help me out, let me know !
Thanks so much,
Karen in Ligonier , 15658

3Rivers:

Build your own bater.....its doesn't cost much....and there's a number of resources for building a coolerbater...(See Sally Sunshines links)....

The bantam Langshan hens are good broodies and have great personalities. They are laying like crazy right now if anyone else wants eggs. I also have a limited amount of large fowl Langshan eggs too. I'll probably have chicks of both available in about 3 weeks, lol if anyone wants to give this cool breed a try.
Anne let me know when you candle how things are developing. :)

Please? I would love some... how much? Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom