Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So I've been hearing about fermented feed and would like to try. There is so much information out there that I am getting confused. Do I just get a bucket and put regular layer feed, water, and ACV in? Stir, and feed when the food has fermented? Do I keep it covered? How soon does it need to be emptied so that it does not grow mold? Can I also ferment their scratch grains? Sorry for all the questions lol.

Ok, I'll take her. Hopefully, she can mesh in to my turkey flock without much trouble. I've been debating on whether or not to take my hen Mary to the swap as she's not a very friendly social girl but I needed at least 2 red hens. Sabrina can take her spot :)

Is the main reason for people to go to swap meets to swap a lonely chicken that maybe lost their friend within the flock? Swap a chicken that won't lay for some reason? Swap a chicken that is getting picked on trying to fit in? Swap a chicken that is too broody? Swap a chicken that is aggressive and doesn't play well with others? Is there a lot of Q&A to find out the personality/pros/cons of the chicken you are receiving?

If everyone is offloading unwanted chickens then how have the received chickens been? I've never been to a swap meet, all our chickens have been raised from egg or 1-2 weeks old. I'm interested in hearing any experiences people have had at a swap meet.

Just a little positive that I had happen yesterday. Those of you that remember "stake", I hatched 2 chicks from eggs I got from a trio of his that I picked up (the eggs) after he had passed. Got a little teary when I saw that they both had hatched.
20170802_082050.jpg
20170802_081905.jpg

Attachments

• 20170802_082043.jpg
    20170802_082043.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 8
Is the main reason for people to go to swap meets to swap a lonely chicken that maybe lost their friend within the flock? Swap a chicken that won't lay for some reason? Swap a chicken that is getting picked on trying to fit in? Swap a chicken that is too broody? Swap a chicken that is aggressive and doesn't play well with others? Is there a lot of Q&A to find out the personality/pros/cons of the chicken you are receiving?

If everyone is offloading unwanted chickens then how have the received chickens been? I've never been to a swap meet, all our chickens have been raised from egg or 1-2 weeks old. I'm interested in hearing any experiences people have had at a swap meet.

People take birds to swap for many reasons but there is rarely any grilling over a chicken's past. Most people usualy just want to know breed, sex, and age. I hatch chicks all spring and take them to the swaps to sell to try to make a little money. I also take extra roos and hens that don't fit in to my breeding plans or that don't fit in with the flock.

Has anyone ever let a broody duck raise chicks before? My muscovy, Ebony, has been broody off and on for a while. I have ayam cemani due to hatch on Friday so I slipped 2 eggs under her. She doesn't really swim unless we have a big reason and there are puddles in the yard. Do you think it'll be ok?

Ana is broody again but my chicken sitter didn't collect eggs that were in the coop, only the ones in the nest boxes so I now have a couple that had started to develope under her. I have about 30 more eggs that I'm not sure if anything started to develope that I'm feeding back to the flock. *eye roll*. I DID tell him that they needed collected in there.

My oldest CX hen has started laying. I'm not sure who dad is but they're going in the bator anyway. Any chicks that hatch will be the foundation of my meat flock :)

Broodies are inevitably a disaster for me. I had a silver Ameraucana that was such a determined broody that I decided to let her hatch some. I gave 2 a dozen guinea eggs that were a week from hatching. She hatched 9 of them and killed every one. I have been finding limp bodies all over the pen. I'm gonna stick with incubators and brooders, my broodies are not to be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom