Perch width, what’s the science?

I like the inner tube idea. I wonder if it would last long enough to be worthwhile.
I've been thinking (always dangerous :p) that maybe by using a shaped branch with varying diameter I could encourage different hens to roost in a particular place.
I don't have more than six chickens in each coop and I check the shit that gets deposited on the floor in the morning when I open them up. Even with 4 in a coop it's hard to be absolutely sure who dumped what where. :idunno
Nah, stupid idea....

@Shadrach another good discussion. Your ideas spark a lot of responses and open different opinions to people. Nice work.
I'm going to look at my coop when I get home. I'm thinking of trying an experiment with the perches. Going to replace half with natural branches and see over time which they use. I'll post a thread to give progress/results.

@Shadrach another good discussion. Your ideas spark a lot of responses and open different opinions to people. Nice work.
I'm going to look at my coop when I get home. I'm thinking of trying an experiment with the perches. Going to replace half with natural branches and see over time which they use. I'll post a thread to give progress/results.

I tried that a few years back, will be very interested in your results. If you are going to start a new thread can you please give link.

Chickens are creatures of habit, they often like to sleep on the highest points available, some spots in the coop may be favored (With mine it is in front of the window), and the chicken highest in the pecking order gets to sleep wherever they wish. You might bear that in mind when designing your test.

I shuffled and mixed 2x4's on edge, 2x4's flat, and tree branches. My conclusion was that people worry about the shape of the roost much more than the chickens do. As I said, I will look forward to your results. According to the scientific method an experiment does not prove anything unless the results are repeatable by others. My experiment was only to determine what the chickens' preferences might be, not which are better or more healthy.

I sandpapered the sharp edges of the 2x4's. I wasn't that worried about making it round so the chicken's foot would be comfortable, I was more concerned with removing splinters which could lead to bumblefoot.

Thank you. I just hope the book does.
I'm going to do the same. I had de-barked branches a few years ago. I only changed to the square 2x2 stuff because of what I had read.
I doubt that in the short term it will make any difference but the idea that differing shapes and diameters help exercise the chickens feet makes a lot of sense.

Shake them up and move the roost around to determine if they follow roosts or resort to location-location in determining where to roost.

Shake them up and move the roost around to determine if they follow roosts or resort to location-location in determining where to roost.
Since they have been roosting on the 2x4 since moving in that will be the control. I plan on trying natural branches, round closet rod, and a 1x? on edge for a narrower version of the lumber. I have to do some remodeling in the coop for this so it won't be till the weekend before I get started. I'll be starting an article in my profile for the experiment so I can have all the information together.

All the ones I’ve read indicate a variety of shapes and sizes are best to exercise the feet and help prevent arthritic joints. The round perches that are sold with cages are ok as one option but should never be the only choice.

Debarked branches with variations in shape and size over their length are generally accepted as the “best” option, and it’s preferable to offer several made of different hardnesses as well. Moving a few inches to one side or another will then cause the feet to flex differently.

It’s probably more important to give options in wood type, size, and shape than to try to find one “best” perch.

Agreed with the above paragraphs. Have I done this? NOOOOO! I've simply used 2 x 4's on the flat with edges eased with a razor knife. B/C this was the easiest method. No doubt, providing multiple diameter, angles, and materials would give the chicken's feet/legs more exercise and even improve their strength. My old CP coop has rounded stair rails for perches. I really like these. They are 3" wide, and have a nice contour to them. If I was a chicken, I'd prefer these over the flat 2 x 4's. But... what do I know!!

I do believe that @Shadrach 's climate is greatly different than mine, so... perch choice may be dependent on climate. OP mentions that his birds are prone to SLM. I wonder if they are feather footed? That would also enter the SLM risk factor equation, IMO.

I do believe that @Shadrach 's climate is greatly different than mine, so... perch choice may be dependent on climate. OP mentions that his birds are prone to SLM. I wonder if they are feather footed? That would also enter the SLM risk factor equation, IMO.[/QUOTE]
I don't have any feather footed chickens. Are they more prone to SLM?
I have French Marans and Bantams, I'm not sure what breed.
I also have Bantam/Maran cross breeds and have had Catalans.
I do have problem with SLM, or rather the chickens do. For some reason the males seem to be more susceptible to it.

Back
Top Bottom