Peritonitis?

Sallycass

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
I have a light sussex chicken, 12 months old, consistent layer and heavy set bird.
Suddenly, she has started waddling like a duck and has a very upright stance. She is still eating, drinking and laying eggs. Her legs are now splayed and her abdomen is enlarged. At first, I thought she had a fall, and hurt her back, but now thinking it could be peritonitis? Her comb is a nice red. She has taken to sleeping on the ground and prefers to rest her whole front/ chest area on a wall or log. Welcome thoughts from the community.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your hen is having trouble.

You are probably right that she's got some type of reproductive issue going on. Could be Peritonitis, but often it's not know "which" disorder they have unless they die and a necropsy is performed.

Does her abdomen below the vent between her legs feel like it is fluid filled? If so, then she may have the symptom Water Belly/Ascites. Sometimes this fluid can be drained to give the hen some relief for a period of time. Alternatively, some folks give a detox to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom