Permethrin treated perches

andham

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
I am building a new coop for my first flock. When I was in the Marine Corps our camouflage uniforms were pre-treated with permethrin to repel bugs. The permethrin bonds to the fabric when dry and did not present a danger to the skin. It even lasts through several washings.

I am using large dowels as perches. I am considering spraying them with Permethrin and allowing them a few weeks to dry. My thought is that if I were to get mites, they would most likely move from bird to bird on the perch at night. As such, the treated perch would be an effective, safe insect preventative.

Thoughts?

How large are the dowels you plan to use? I researched this topic (the dowels) before since I am building my second coop and I learned that chickens do better with 2 x 4s (with the 4" side for them to put their feet). Chickens spend most of their time on the ground unlike other birds that fly and perch on trees. Although chickens are birds, they do not perch as well on round structures unless they are pretty wide. Also if you live in an area with real cold winters, you will be better using the 2 x 4s so the chickens can sit on their feet and warm their toes when they roost.
About the permethrin, I hope you get some answers, it sounds like a good idea however I don't know if it is good to submit the chickens to chemicals in a constant basis rather than every once in a while when you get the parasites in the coop.

I would avoid the permethrin. There's little benefit vs the continued exposure to the pesticide. Give your birds a good dust bathing space and add some diatomaceous earth. You won't have a mite problem.

well the idea would be that the permethrin, dried and bonded with the wood, would not expose the birds but would prevent any spread of insects.

Are insects less of a danger in the colder regions of the US? I am in Washington state.

Back
Top Bottom