Permit for Mallards?

Apr 9, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I live in Texas and I was wondering if I needed a permit to keep mallards? They are a gamebird in my state. On the game bird breeders liscense that I viewed it said I needed it for propaganda or selling of the game bird or egg. I would not be doing any of that but would much rather raise them for fun and let them have the chance to breed if they want to. A response would be very helpful thank you!

Hello! I live in Texas and I was wondering if I needed a permit to keep mallards? They are a gamebird in my state. On the game bird breeders liscense that I viewed it said I needed it for propaganda or selling of the game bird or egg. I would not be doing any of that but would much rather raise them for fun and let them have the chance to breed if they want to. A response would be very helpful thank you!
I'd call the game wardens and ask

You need a permit to keep wild derived mallards in every state as they are protected under the migratory bird act across the country. Domesticated mallards are a different story. The hatchery mallards will have a toe clipped and are considered domesticated owl. The toe clip allows them to be differentiated from wild derived mallards. Domesticated hatchery no permit needed. If you are getting ducklings or eggs from your local pond then yes.

You need a permit to keep wild derived mallards in every state as they are protected under the migratory bird act across the country. Domesticated mallards are a different story. The hatchery mallards will have a toe clipped and are considered domesticated owl. The toe clip allows them to be differentiated from wild derived mallards. Domesticated hatchery no permit needed. If you are getting ducklings or eggs from your local pond then yes.
Yes. I was thinking of getting them from McMurray. Thank you so much! Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom