Pet Peeves

I've never had a job where the handbook didn't come after the being hired.
Usually get hired then handbook on the first day of actually working. :confused: been a long time since I've had one of those fancy type jobs.
Thinking you've been there a couple weeks now? It would be strange to wait that long. Maybe there's a running joke in there somewhere that they haven't completely explained to you.
From your first post it seemed awful silly for a job you were excited to get to be like screw their rules right from the beginning.
Yeah it'd be like after a couple weeks "oh by the way" that kind of stuff usually can't be enforced. They're trying to change an agreement that was agreed upon by both parties. Louisiana is a state that actually backs the employee pretty good and probably wouldn't allow it.

Yeah it'd be like after a couple weeks "oh by the way" that kind of stuff usually can't be enforced. They're trying to change an agreement that was agreed upon by both parties. Louisiana is a state that actually backs the employee pretty good and probably wouldn't allow it.
I really, seriously believe that the manual was created because the last dishwasher was sensitive about the others' mouths. My boss has heard me swear and he says nothing. We have already spoken about a wide array of topics, and I had been forthright with them that if I ever say anything that is not okay, to please tell me. During my interview I had said flat-out that at Walmart, most jokes are considered sexual harassment, and I do not see them that way if they are meant to be in jest. You can tell when jokes are made to be funny, and when they are meant to be inappropriate. He had warned me of how the others talk, and had asked me numerous times already if I was okay with my coworkers. Like, duh! I feel like I am merely washing dishes in a kitchen full of my family members. And then I proceeded to pick on my new work buddy in a manner that would have, at Walmart, gotten me written up for harassment. Just to prove that I am not only okay with their jokes, but that I have a thick enough skin to take part. He seemed happy that he did not have a kitchen full of awkwardness and stress. And after work we all sit around making even worse jokes while having a beer.

I may bring up the manual again to boss man after the holidays and ask him about it. Try to see if others could get some wiggle room so that they can just enjoy being in the kitchen for 12+ hours a day. It is so much easier to enjoy your work if you do not have to worry about your speech. 😊

Not like that here. You get an employee handbook and it is the employee's responsibility to read it. It can be, and is, revised at any time. You break a rule that can warrant termination and you can be terminated. Actually, you can be terminated at any time even if you do not break a rule since it is an "at will" employment.

I really, seriously believe that the manual was created because the last dishwasher was sensitive about the others' mouths. My boss has heard me swear and he says nothing. We have already spoken about a wide array of topics, and I had been forthright with them that if I ever say anything that is not okay, to please tell me. During my interview I had said flat-out that at Walmart, most jokes are considered sexual harassment, and I do not see them that way if they are meant to be in jest. You can tell when jokes are made to be funny, and when they are meant to be inappropriate. He had warned me of how the others talk, and had asked me numerous times already if I was okay with my coworkers. Like, duh! I feel like I am merely washing dishes in a kitchen full of my family members. And then I proceeded to pick on my new work buddy in a manner that would have, at Walmart, gotten me written up for harassment. Just to prove that I am not only okay with their jokes, but that I have a thick enough skin to take part. He seemed happy that he did not have a kitchen full of awkwardness and stress. And after work we all sit around making even worse jokes while having a beer.

I may bring up the manual again to boss man after the holidays and ask him about it. Try to see if others could get some wiggle room so that they can just enjoy being in the kitchen for 12+ hours a day. It is so much easier to enjoy your work if you do not have to worry about your speech. 😊
I wouldn't, I'd just let it go. Let that sleeping dog lye as they say.

Back
Top Bottom