Pheasants with Peafowl

dheltzel

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Pottstown, PA
I have an aviary with peafowl and was wondering if there are any species of pheasants that could co-exist with them. Maybe a single male Red Golden or Lady Amhearst? Or will any pheasant be at such a disadvantage with the peas that you don't recommend this?

Thanks! Would you recommend goldens or amhearst more? I think they are both beautiful. My perception is that goldens are the more reserved/timid of the 2, but I've never raised them (and it's been a long time ago for the goldens).

Are you looking to breed them?Or do you just want to look at them?You can run all males together as long as there are no hens around.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm hoping to find some eggs locally to hatch and raise. I will pen the hens and a single cocks separately, and it sounds like I can put the extra males in with the peas, as extra color and spare breeders. If I can't find eggs, I may buy 2 young pairs and when the males start to fight, move one to the pea aviary.

I've had Alaskan, Red Golden and now Reeves Pheasants in with my Peafowl. They have all done alright. No territorial issues as the peafowl have overhead perches to get away from whatever bothers them including me.

Thanks for that info. I am less concerned about the peas being bothered that them harassing the pheasants, given the substantial size difference between them and goldens (or amhearst). I will add some shelters that are "pheasant" sized, so they can get out of sight if need be.

Do pheasants suffer from blackhead like turkeys and peas, or are they more tolerant (and therefore potential carriers) like chickens? I've never heard warnings about keeping pheasants and chickens separate.

Back
Top Bottom