PICTURES!! Silkies and the rest of my flock. Question about chickens nails from a rescued hen..

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Hello,
I have lots of pictures to share! The first ones are of my Silkies, I know that it is hard to sex a Silkie but I did notice a few differences between my two. I notice the black one has a beard and If he/she is standing just right I think I can see a bit of green plumage, so that makes me think Rooster. The white one does not have a beard it is clean below the chin and beak. I don't get real close to the Silkies as they are just starting to warm up to me and I don't want to scare them, they are doing well and will stand by my feet if I am sitting but if I reach out they will scatter.

Next are my Frizzles, they are just adorable. I am not sure what they are crossed with but I know they are not pure Frizzles.

Now This may be hard to look at but I just rescued 5 Polish, 3 Bantams, and 4 Rhode Island Reds, the Red are about 8 weeks old and are in good condition but the Polish are all bald due to the White Rocks this man had they were relentless bullies to these 5 Polish. I do have them separated just in case although I found no mites the only thing is their poo is white and watery but they have been getting different feed, fresh greens and treats. Notice the White Bantam (I think it is a Bantam) her toenails are super long, can anyone direct me as how to cut them and if I need to look for a vein like a dogs toenail. Remember I rescued her Tuesday, I would never keep any of my girls in this type of condition.

No Top hats for these girls, I hope with good food and sunlight (they were NEVER outside) they will regrow.

Horrible isn't it??? Also if anyone knows what breed she may be I would appreciate the help. Thank you

Again I don't know what breed this one is, I took them all as their conditions were disgusting (look at my other post Polish in deplorable conditions).

Cute RIR in good health also rescued.

Couldn't leave out a few of my happy happy happy girls!! All different kinds and personalities and I love everyone of them. Luckily I got one EE Rooster out of the Tractor Supply pullet bin lol.
Thanks for looking and if anyone knows about nail trimming or what breeds the small bantams may be please let me know.

You're right about the black silkie, but I can't see the white one well enough to tell. I'd look for a big comb and wattles, as they will tell you the gender (only the bearded/tophatted silkies are hard to tell, as they don't really have combs/wattles)

I believe frizzles aren't an actual breed, they are just a genetic mutation, just so you know...
Also, I think this one might be a rooster, in case you were asking: https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6365979/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

Good luck on healing your rescues!

It was good of you to rescue the chickens from those conditions.

I have clipped chicken toe nails with a toe nail clipper (a pet nail clipper would work as well of course.) There is a quick or vein like in a dog. It seems like the longer the nails the longer the quick is, so cutting a little bit at a time is probably the safest approach. If you have some blood stop powder, you might want to keep it handy.

I 'm not sure about the breeds, but I wonder if the one with the darker comb is a silkie mix. The others might be mixes, too. I like their colors - splash and blue.

Congratulations! It won't take long with some tender care before they look like your other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom