Pig Manure in the garden??

kristen2678

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
North Berwick Maine
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone use pig manure in their garden? I have a pig farmer willing to drop off manure for free. I'm reading that it's dangerous because of pathogens. If I compost it now, can I use it in the spring?

I don't see how it would be any different that people who use rabbit or chicken/duck droppings and bedding in their gardens.

Last year I put all the old straw and poo from when I cleaned out the duck coop and burned it, and then put the ash over my garden, it worked.

Safe manure practices are published by most state Ag universities and all follow similar guidelines. 120 days before harvest or 60 days before planting keeps you well within the safe window. http://umaine.edu/publications/2510e/

Anybody
willing to drop off free hog manure would be more than welcome at our place!!! Compost or sheet spread NOW on your garden. I'd not wait much longer to sheet compost.

69833_dscf0243.jpg

Last edited:
DO NOT DO IT. The waste of any animal that is a carnivore or omnivore is not suitable for agriculture. The potential for pathogens is way to high. There is a reason that human waste is not used in gardens. Humans like pigs are omnivores, essentially we will eat anything. Dog waste isn't used either because they are carnivores. Waste meat needs to be composted completely and at high temperatures in order to be safe for use in cultivation of food for humans.

Quote:
it's about handling. search on HuManure, and there are several good books on how to use human manure safely in food gardens.
we'll be using pigs in a pig tractor to turn our garden plot. it's a proven process, safe to do. but do your homework on how to do it safely.

I am tilled a spot that I raised pigs in over the winter. They were butchered a couple months ago. we tilled it and planted not that long ago. Is it safe? I am reading mixed reviews. I even had a calf in there for a short time after the hogs were butchered too.

Should I move all my plants or are they just no good now?

I can seem to get rid of the bugs either. Alot of poop on top I think still. When I water the garden it is bad. I think they are mostly like a nat type flying bug. That you see on horse and cow poop.

I think my chocolate mint and cilantro I will let go since they are are on the ground. I have more cilantro but was really looking forward to the chocolate mint. I will have to look for more and put it somewhere else.

I used a bug killer Seven it was a granule just a few days ago. but still tons of bugs on the ground mostly and on some plants too.

Back
Top Bottom