Pigeon NEWBIE!! HELP ME!

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Its been a while since ive been on this site! Ive had quail, then moved into chickens, still have a few chickens, but I have now moved on to pigeons.

I have 12 pairs of racing pigeons. They are all older birds. 3 to 6 years old. I got them in my chicken coop that im slowing transitioning to a pigeon loft. I have nest boxs put up on a wall. Loft is 20ftX8ftX8ft. All half inch welded wire. Im trying to keep from building a new loft, but may do it anyways.

I have them on game cock feed right now, its a mix of seeds that the feed store had. It doesnt have peas, or safflower though. And i havent added a little fish food to it yet.

Got clean waterers going, all seems ok for now. Checked them over, most look good, I found one lice on one of them in the feathers, thats it though. Seem pretty healthy, guy i got them from said they were up to date on everything.

Ive had 1 egg get laid, and found another egg today on the ground cracked, not in a nest box.

I need to get them breeding asap.. is open nest boxs, let them go as they may the best route? Or pairing them up, locking them up in breeding boxs more efficient? Which would give me better squab numbers?

Anything else you can do to get them breeding and rearing young faster?

Ive been feeding 10 to 15 minutes once a day, but am wondering if they could just free feed, if thatd help with breeding and egg laying with food anytime?

Grains
Chick grit crushed granite to help digesting
Water
Oyster shell

What else they need?

What else they need?
You have all their basic needs covered in my estimation.
It is not your First Rodeo.

Most fanciers feed for 15 minutes twice daily.
I on the other hand do not practice what I preach and feed and water 24/7.

In a perfect world you would know the genetics of each bird and mate them accordingly in breeding boxes to give you the best possible genetic mix and offspring. One tip I would share with you is do not breed brother to sister is a good rule of thumb. Other forms of incest seem to be OK in the pigeon realm.

I on the other hand do NOT practice what I preach and pairings in my loft happen more by good luck than management.

I would advise you to rear at least 3 clutches of offspring before you attempt releasing any of your racers if they are of good quality. Trying to accomplish your goal faster will result in even more losses It is NOT MY FIRST RODEO. I have 67 trips around the sun and have been raising birds for decades.

What you are attempting is NOT easy to accomplish.

Some older birds NEVER bond to a new loft and expect losses.

The best advise I can give you is never release a bird you are NOT willing to loose.

Offspring as you probably can guess are much easier to train.

My wife accuses me of accosting people off the street to view this video I am proud of. It may give you some ideas.

Last edited:
You have all their basic needs covered in my estimation.
It is not your First Rodeo.

Most fanciers feed for 15 minutes twice daily.
I on the other hand do not practice what I preach and feed and water 24/7.

In a perfect world you would know the genetics of each bird and mate them accordingly in breeding boxes to give you the best possible genetic mix and offspring. One tip I would share with you is do not breed brother to sister is a good rule of thumb. Other forms of incest seem to be OK in the pigeon realm.

I on the other hand do NOT practice what I preach and pairings in my loft happen more by good luck than management.

I would advise you to rear at least 3 clutches of offspring before you attempt releasing any of your racers if they are of good quality. Trying to accomplish your goal faster will result in even more losses It is NOT MY FIRST RODEO. I have 67 trips around the sun and have been raising birds for decades.

What you are attempting is NOT easy to accomplish.

Some older birds NEVER bond to a new loft and expect losses.

The best advise I can give you is never release a bird you are NOT willing to loose.

Offspring as you probably can guess are much easier to train.

My wife accuses me of accosting people off the street to view this video I am proud of. It may give you some ideas.

Yes I plan to raise young birds up, before releasing or training any. These older birds were already paired off well by the guy I got them from. Im not sure if their pairings stayed the trip to my loft though. All the cocks seem to be trying to fancy any hen they can, but the females keep denying them still.

Its only in the first week at my house, im sure it takes a bit for them to settle in.

Ive been feeding 10 to 15 minutes once a day,
Controlled/regulated feeding is more for your racing teams. I believe you can be more generous with your breeders. You want plenty of good nutrition for them to produce and feed their babies.
Ive noticed most loft are closed in sheds..
And me, being up north - I notice all the wide open ones! :lol: (especially in Florida)

Chick grit crushed granite to help digesting

Chicken grit is not supposed to work for pigeons well, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of. You want to buy pigeon grit. They sell it online at pigeon sites.

These older birds were already paired off well by the guy I got them from. Im not sure if their pairings stayed the trip to my loft though. All the cocks seem to be trying to fancy any hen they can, but the females keep denying them still.

Pigeons mate for life. If they are separated from a mate, I'm not sure whether they'd find a new one or not, but perhaps some are already paired up? Just something to keep in mind.

Ive noticed most loft are closed in sheds... i dont think I can do that.. st 105-110 degrees and the humidity I reckon Id have roasted kabobs in the loft..

I think many fanciers in hot climates, and even cold climates, install rooftop turbine things that simply spin in the wind and move the air inside the loft quite a bit.

You want to keep the loft dry, so you're in the right frame of mind taking into account the heat and humidity in your area, however, pigeons need to have spaces shielded away from drafts at the same time, so you have to also keep that in mind, sort of a balancing act.

20170628_103907.jpg
20170628_103758.jpg
20170628_103836.jpg

Thos is what Im working with. Old chicken coop im trying to configure for them

Back
Top Bottom